Maybe old hat to some but new to me

Started by SoCalAngler, December 25, 2012, 06:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Things I do when I get bored.

It is time to service my reels again so I decided to do a little testing with the synthetic lubricant TSI 321, for my spool bearings to increase freespool. I have always used Corrosion X and it works good on my bearings, as well on other fishing stuff where corrosion can be a problem but this time tried something new. So far only doing one reel tonight, which is pretty much new and was oiled with the X, my freespool time has increased three fold. I'll post more info after doing some more testing.

Well I now have serviced 12 reels with the TSI 321 and all I can say is wow. This stuff is slick and I have increased freespool at least twice as long on some reels and in a few tripled or more the reels freespool time. This should help in casting light baits such as pinhead anchovies but the biggest pay off I see will be in live bait presentation especially if a long soak is required. Even the slightest drag on the line is highly magnified on the bait as more and more line comes off the reel. With my Southern California/Baja fishing areas where live bait is the norm casting is one thing, but you can only get the spool moving so fast, I see the biggest payoff in having a lively bait swimming well after others are not.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

me 2...prepping my reels before sunday fishing...and here's 1;

btw which fathom is that?  cuz will buy the 25N soon. thanks!

SoCalAngler

It is a 25N which I use mostly with 25lb topshots as a local surface iron reel matched to a Calstar 270-8H rod.