newell for surf fishing

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, December 28, 2012, 12:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

which newell  would you recommend for surf fishing...i will be using a 10 ft rod and 20# topshot. thanks!

bluefish69

Mel

If I had my choice I would use the P or G 338 it's the same size as the Jig Master or if you want the P or G 332 it's just a little narrower but the same diameter as the 338. Smaller then that & you won't have enough line if you get a good size fish. I would take the shield off both sides of the bearings for cleaning the sand out.

At present there is only ONE tackle shop on Long Island with parts and they are hard to find.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

essentially, the difference between the 4s, 3s, and 2s are the size, and therefore, line capacity.  I believe they share the main and pinion gear.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

The 200 300 400 all have the same internals except the 200 have a different Bridge Plate. All P series have Aluminium Handles or should have. The G series have the Graphite handles / Red stripe most of the time.

I read somewhere that the graphite handles strip on the Bridge Sleeve with big fish. It was called Newell-ed when this happened. I haven't even hooked anything that big yet.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

BMITCH

I use 3 P235's in the surf. Nothing but good things to say for these reels. Excellent casting, easy service and the same drag as a jigmaster. What else can be said??
luck is the residue of design.