Earth mag question penn torque 100

Started by sinkerswim, December 29, 2012, 08:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

??? Hey guys,

Help!!! Got a really good deal on a used penn torque 100. Started to do a Tani treatment, beginning with left (clicker) side plate. This reel has a mag spool control. Part # 302 525MAG, magnet housing. Yes it is the same mag housing as the penn 525 mag reel.

As I was going over the mag section for cleaning and greasing one of the four magnets popped out. So, I tried putting it back into it's circular cut out and it picked up the adjacent magnet. From there on in it has been mags grouping together and/or popping out all over the place. These make yoke springs seem tame by comparison. Wow, I had no idea how strong these magnets are. My question is are they, or better yet shoud they have been glued in? Could the glue have lost it's holding power? Should I be able to just clean and crazy glue them back. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete 

Fish-aholic

Hi Pete,

The magnets are pressed in from the factory and is common those magnets pop out. See it as a blessing in disguise you encountered the issue while servicing. Usually a slight knock to the reel can dislodge the magnets causing them to mount on top of one another. If this occurs (seen it a fair few times with the 525 mag range), the mounted magnets will come into contact and interfere with the spool. Nothing a little glue couldn't cure, but make sure the magnets are sitting flush inside the mag carrier. Some will claim the magnets polarities should be orientated like so
- + - + or + - + -, but in truth, I haven't noticed a blind bit of difference in the effect of the mag braking when replaced willy nilly ;)

Steve  

sinkerswim

Fish-aholic,

Thanks for the reply. Great stuff! You obviously speak from what you know. Glue them it shall be. I find it a bit strange that they wouldn't be glued at the factory. But, as Alan has said if they did this stuff at the factory, we'd have to spend our time fishing! How profound!