PENN 80VSW - Help

Started by Marlinmate, December 31, 2012, 10:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Took off the non-handled side plate with the reel in freespool. Did some routine maintenace...cleaned/oiled bearing, added grease here and there, checked the drag plates...and reassembled.

For some reason, I'm not getting freespool.  When I turn the spool, the handle turns?

Any ideas?

PS...that little tab that you need to pull up to remove the drag cover.....it is a pain in the ####. Will need to order a new one after the tab pulled off, the c-clip flew across the room, and the spring loaded pin fell deeper into the drag cover requiring me to gouge out the plastic around the pin and excavate out the pin....all just to get to the drags.

Arrrrr :-[

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

kamuwela

the pin is made to lift up and turn 90 degrees. yes it is a pain lift the tab and rotate. as for the left plate could it be the dogs are locking up on the plate? loosen the plate and turn the spool while putting pressure on the plate and retighten the screws.

Marlinmate

Will give it a try once my blood pressure levels off.   I noticed on the schematic that part #154 (shims) are shown....but on my reel they aren't there.

They appear that they would shim the drag plate closer to the drag plate?  correct?

Marlinmate

Quote from: kamuwela on December 31, 2012, 11:14:11 PM
the pin is made to lift up and turn 90 degrees. yes it is a pain lift the tab and rotate. as for the left plate could it be the dogs are locking up on the plate? loosen the plate and turn the spool while putting pressure on the plate and retighten the screws.

Is the Pin necessary?   it would be difficult for the cover to unscrew??

kamuwela

it prevents the cover from backing off. you would have to tighten it too much to prevent it from backing off. i would put it back after you get the parts.  the shim is not a big issue you can order one at the same time.

Marlinmate

Well...i think what happened was that the shaft was not completely seated into the bellevue washers on the handle side. I played with it some, the spool moved and all is better.   Still don't like that pin/spring/ deal with the drag cover.....annoying.

kamuwela

i hate the pin but it stops backing off and you wont need to over tighten. i must admit i had my problems with it my first time around. glad you got it

Dominick

I had problems with the same clip when I first took one apart.  I now grip it with the side of an alligator clip and leave the clip on until I'm done.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.