Update - Success! 9M Help Needed, Bearing Interfering with Eccentric

Started by yelloweye, January 01, 2013, 02:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelloweye

Greetings,

I've just purchased a 9M - Left Hand.  The eccentric wasn't going all the way into freespool.  I took it apart and rebuilt it a number of times but could not get the eccentric into freespool.  Finally I backed out the handle-side bearing, and it works.  However, every picture I've ever seen of a 9, 109, or 209 shows the handle-side bearing screwed all the way into the side plate.  Have I put it together wrong, or is this bearing supposed to go in or out as necessary?  The reel also isn't very smooth and doesn't spin very well.  Is this a contributing issue or symptom?

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad81/yelloweyenw/IMG_2035copy_zps1905094c.jpg

Thanks for any help!

harryk3616

hi      the bearing on the handle side should be screwed in all the way.  the bearing on the clicker side might have to be backed out, that bearing adjusts the sideplay in the spool which should have very little side play.   looking at the picture, it looks like the spring tension washer is between the handle and the star drag,  that washer should be underneath on top of the drag washers on the main gear. i hope this helps, any other questions feel free to ask, we are here to help each other, good luck.    harryk

akfish

Check to see if your yoke is bent or if the tabs on the eccentric jack are too flat. Also, it could be that the RS bearing won't quite fit inside the pinion gear. If so, you'll need a new bearing if you can't ream out the gear.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: harryk3616 on January 01, 2013, 03:01:55 AM
it looks like the spring tension washer is between the handle and the star drag,  that washer should be underneath on top of the drag washers on the main gear.

I put spring washers under the star or inside on top of the drag stack, and sometimes both if there is room.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: akfish on January 01, 2013, 01:45:42 PM
Check to see if your yoke is bent or if the tabs on the eccentric jack are too flat.
X2
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

yelloweye

There aren't any washers between the handle and star drag.  And I don't think the clicker-side bearing position matters, as the problem is there regardless of whether the handle side plate is attached to the rest of the reel or not.

I'll check the yoke, jack, and bearing/pinion fit when I return from today's fishing trip.

Thanks everyone!

yelloweye

Well tore it apart and found the following.

1. The yoke is definitely bent.  I turned it over, and that didn't seem to help.  I assume I need to straighten it?

2. The tabs on the jack are about as high as a standard Penn tool screwdriver is thick.  I don't know whether this is correct or not.

3.  The bearing is clearly rubbing on the gears and is slightly damaged.  I'm not sure how this is supposed to fit inside the pinion gear, as they are the same diameter.  Here is how far it sticks up into the side plate.  

Thoughts from here?
Thanks!

Alto Mare

You could straighten it out and it will probably work, but you'll be right back where you starter from in a short time.
Get yourself a new yoke, it's only about $1.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/12-9.aspx
Personally, I would also replace the jack, $3 is a small investment.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

yelloweye

I think I've got this figured out, thanks to inspiration from you folks.  Sal's link got me to looking at all the parts and I saw that the handle-side bearing sold by Scott's is different than the one I'm looking at.  Then I recalled AKfish saying that the bearing needed to fit in the pinion gear.  So it looks like someone installed the wrong bearing on this reel and the correct one will solve the problem.  Fingers are crossed and a purchase of a new bearing is imminent.

Here is the bearing that was in the reel:

Clearly this bearing wasn't fitting inside of anything.

Here is the bearing listed as the correct one for the 9M by Scott's and others:

Now I can see what AKfish meant about the bearing fitting inside the pinion.

Fingers are crossed!!

George4741

Yelloweye, I disassembled my 9M and the handle-side spool bearing looks different.  Unlike yours, when my bearing is fully tightened the threads don't protrude beyond the inside of the sideplate.  That will cause the interference with the pinion.  It looks like you have a 26-109 bearing and you need a 26-9 bearing.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Hmmm, as I was typing my last post it looks like you came to the same conclusion as I did.  Let us know how it works out.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

yelloweye

The new bearing arrived today and I couldn't wait to put it in.  The reel works great now.  Thanks so much to everyone that offered a suggestion.  It was a group effort that lead to the solution.  You guys rock!

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem