1970's model ABU 6000

Started by steelheadman, January 01, 2013, 04:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadman

Happy New Year to All!!
     I have an Abu-Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 that I bought in 1971....you all remember the style, red body with the counter balanced handle, and push button spool release....anyway, this reel has very little, if any, in the way of bearings. My question is, are there bearings available to buy that I can use to retrofit the reel, or am I pretty much stuck with the status quo?  I caught alot of Steelhead using this reel in the past, and would like to pull it out of 'moth balls'....the problem is that it just doesn't run as smooth as my newer Shimano reels...are there bearing available for all of the older model Abu-Garcia casting reels....I have 5 total just sitting...

Ken_D

Hi. Yes. TG's Rocket Fuel in the UK, and Boca in the USA have the off-size 3.2 mm bored bb's. I think they run about 20-25.00 a pair, compared to 95 cents to 2-4.00 for the normal 3 mm bores.  If concours d'elegance reels are not your thing, and you know a machinist, you can get the axle stubs turned down to 3 mm. I get mine for 10.00 a reel.  Less money than the offsize bearings, and easy to change out for less, down the road.

You can use the dual bb worm and shroud from the 6 size Mag-X, and the bb idler from the Record. And you can add a crank bb from the early C3 from the 80's.  

Some of the early pro reels had bb's in the handle paddles, but they are rare. You can check some of the Japan
sites for aftermarket bb handles. Japan Tackle I think, used to have them.

One of the better schematic collections is Nutter rod and reel.  They have theirs in chronological order making it easy to locate a drawing.  Hope this helps.  KD.  PS: it may be a better plan to put this type of query in the ambassadeuir sub-forum.... abu freaks sometimes/may not check the general fourm very often.

Lunker Larry

Mikes Reel Repair has all the upgrades for these reels: bearings, ceramic pawls, etc.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Jerry at hookless.com build my custom 4500c's with 6 bb's.  The one on the gear shaft is the one that makes all the difference in the world.

alantani

some of these reels had an odd sized bushing.  ken, you remember the one i'm talking about, right?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reinaard van der Vossen

I think I have a similar one. There are no ball bearings, only oiled bronze bushings. My brother borrowed mine but it cast quite good actually