packing bearings

Started by realmedic, November 19, 2009, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realmedic

Alan,

what grease do you use for packing bearings? also is there a differnace in the grease you use between freshwater and salt water for the bearings or have you found a happy medium so to speak?

kamuwela

Quote from: realmedic on November 19, 2009, 02:37:26 PM
Alan,

what grease do you use for packing bearings? also is there a differnace in the grease you use between freshwater and salt water for the bearings or have you found a happy medium so to speak?
yamalube

realmedic

Hmmm ive been trying to find that locally  ;)

rickjc

In freshwater reels I use a good quality oil (rocket fuel yellow or reel x) on sealed or ceramic bearings.  On exposed bearings like you find in most spinning reels I would use a light grease like Penn blue.

realmedic

rick my question was pertaining to packing bearings what are dry oils are a differnt matter and i was wondering what alan used in side the bearings

realmedic

george thank you very much  ;D

rickjc

Sorry, read your question wrong.

realmedic

another issue for me also is i mostly do freshwater reels. so i was wondering what you guys use to pack bearings for freshwater use?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

realmedic

if i can find the yamaha lube im locally im gonna try it if not i'll order it where you set your link for it Alan thanks

kapnd

Alan, whats your take on Corrrosion Block grease? 
I have been using it in my Internationals for a couple of years, and it does hold up well against the salt.  I coat everything and pack the bearings with it , then squirt some liquid Corrosion block into bearings, shifters, drag cams, etc before reassembly.
These are trolling reels, so dont need to have ultra smoothe casting abilities. 
Off on a sidetrack here, concerning the internationals, I store my rods in vertical racks, but the drain holes are 90deg on the bottom of the reel. 
I have found brown marks and salt deposits at the low point (in storage position, right at the clicker) so drilled new drain holes to let the moisture out.
Works great, now to find a way to keep the water out entirely...

kamuwela

Quote from: kapnd on November 21, 2009, 07:17:46 PM
Alan, whats your take on Corrrosion Block grease? 
I have been using it in my Internationals for a couple of years, and it does hold up well against the salt.  I coat everything and pack the bearings with it , then squirt some liquid Corrosion block into bearings, shifters, drag cams, etc before reassembly.
These are trolling reels, so dont need to have ultra smoothe casting abilities. 
Off on a sidetrack here, concerning the internationals, I store my rods in vertical racks, but the drain holes are 90deg on the bottom of the reel. 
I have found brown marks and salt deposits at the low point (in storage position, right at the clicker) so drilled new drain holes to let the moisture out.
Works great, now to find a way to keep the water out entirely...
hey kapnd i did a few penns recently that had corrosion block in the reels. it was all hardened there was alot of salt damage too. i am not saying its no good cause these reels were in terrible shape. lack of maintainence was mostly to blame. those brown spots you were talking about, these reels were almost rotten right thru. atleast you caught it, so i know your stuff wont be neglected. these reels must have belonged to a guy that never washed his poles or boat. beer first wash bumbai lol   aloha kamu

InTheNet

Realmedic email me your address and I will mail you a tube. I just boughta package of three tubes that will last me more than a lifetime. No charge. Only payment is to take a kid fishing.

rhehn@suburbancollection.com

realmedic

ok sent you an email thank you so much. i'll be sure to take a kid fishing as i am involved with the jr bassmasters