Max. practical drag on 6500c3/4

Started by Stuck, January 02, 2013, 11:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Curiosity often costs me $.  

When I checked mine I put the reel on a reel seat, clamped it in my vice and pulled directly from the reel, a rod would have increesed the drag.  

I service my 5601C4's every time they get around saltwater and leave the AR bearings dry and these reels have an AR bearing and 2 AR dogs.  They are not factory reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

Mine doesn't have an IAR bearing.

Box stock; no mods.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Fish-aholic

That makes better sense! I thought 20lb+ worth of drag wouldn't be possible with an Abu fitted with 'modern' IAR bearings. Would anyone know what the IAR bearing in Abu's would max out to before failing? At a pure guess, I would think it would be below 10lb ???

Keta, I never knew Abu's could be double dogged - or is this only feasible with select models like your reel? 

Keta

D'oh!!! My memory is shot!  I took the reel apart before I remembered it is a AR bearing and a SINGLE mechanical dog.

Here's a link to the information.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2631.0

And here's the reel.

Mark Twain

Fish-aholic

Thanks for the update and links, Keta!

I'm shocked that such little AR bearings found in Abu's would hold up to 20lb+ worth of drag. :o

Ken_D

Quote from: Keta on January 04, 2013, 07:22:01 PM
Double dog it.

If anybody's interested in obtaining the posts for the dogs, especially those that presently have only the IAR one way clutch, I'll dig up the info from my hard drive.... the posts run about 2.00 each, landed, and the dogs are about the same.  Posts come from a Swedish shop, and the dogs from any Abu dealer over here.

Folks that have brake plates with a dog already there,   just locate a LH reel with the dog, or the other way round if you are left handed.   New brake plates are about 20.00 a pop.  Or you can use a nut and bolt as a post.

day0ne

Quote from: Fish-aholic on January 04, 2013, 04:40:01 PM
To those who have tested and reached 20lb+ of drag on a spring scale with their Abu's; how come the IAR bearing held up to 20lb+ of drag without being damaged - or at least give and slip?

The reels they were testing probably had dogs not IAR's. I usually try to set my Abu's up with both (mix and match parts), CT or aluminum frames and anything else I can think of

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Fish-aholic on January 05, 2013, 12:08:16 AM
Thanks for the update and links, Keta!

I'm shocked that such little AR bearings found in Abu's would hold up to 20lb+ worth of drag. :o

maybe because  it's an INA made bearing ??? ??? ???