Max. practical drag on 6500c3/4

Started by Stuck, January 02, 2013, 11:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuck

What's the maximum practical / workable drag pressure that's acheivable on a 6500. I've got a couple of stock ones that I have to clamp down very hard to make 6lbs of drag but I'm reading about blokes fishing 30lb braid from them  ???.

Thanks,
Anthony.

Keta

I have trouble bielieving they are getting 22+ pounds, I'll try to remember to check what I get out of one of my hotrodded 5601C4s.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

If you read more carefully, you'll notice that one of them was a to-the-point-of-destruction test.

That was me, who got fed up with several pages of golly gee, chin scratch, pseudoscientific blablabla, and simply pulled out a reel and did it.

YMMV.

(reel survived.  :)  I'd run into the Parts & Service Manager for Abu a while back. He sent over a new pinion. Thanx pal ;) )

akfish

I wouldn't push more than 6# of drag on a 6500C3. More than that and you'll fry the gears. Notice how small the (brass) gear teeth are and the frame just isn't very stiff. The 6500 is a good reel -- for light line applications.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: Robert Janssen on January 02, 2013, 03:17:44 PM
If you read more carefully, you'll notice that one of them was a to-the-point-of-destruction test.

That was me, who got fed up with several pages of golly gee, chin scratch, pseudoscientific blablabla, and simply pulled out a reel and did it.

YMMV.

(reel survived.  :)  I'd run into the Parts & Service Manager for Abu a while back. He sent over a new pinion. Thanx pal ;) )

Thanks for destroying your reel for knowledge.  Destructive testing tells us what goes bad, always something good to know, but usable max drag is more important for fishermen.  I can get well over 10lbs of drag out of my 5601s but fish them as 30lb.   These reels are about as small as I'd use for albacore.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I just got back from town and when I was at the shop I tested one of my 5601C4's (not factory) and got a bit over 20lbs with a straight pull, no rod, using a calibrated scale.  My topshot broke at a knot at 21lbs so I'm sure the reel can do 24lbs but it took two thumbs to tighten the star this tight.  No pinion gear dammage but I think if one fished these reels as 50/60 they would not hold up.  They make a good 20lb/30lb reel at 8lb-10lbs drag.

Mark Twain

Ken_D

Great threads, both here and the sol.

1: Locate a swivel.

2: Cut a circular disk of leather the size of a USA/CAD/quarter/pashenko token.
     Burn a small hole in the top, like a key tag.

3: Insert swivel in hole.

4: Attach swivel to cross bar and through the top of the line carriage.

5: Remove ergonomic thumbrest if reel is so equipped.

6: When you get a fish, place disk on spool, and press firmly.

7: It works.   ;D

Keta

A properly placed spring washer, Carbontex drag washers and a spring loaded anti reverse dog is all I feel is needed to make these good salmon reels into an albacore reel.

Mark Twain

alantani

figure 3-4 pounds for a good working range.  it's a pretty light reel.  you're not trying to deliberately destroy it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I've got mine maxed at 5# without any issues yet.  Note that I do not crank the reel while line is going out and pump my rod when reeling line in though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

It's only 12:30 am for me right now.   ;D  you must be working Alan.  Going to see about visiting Kamu and Bradah Bill in Ewa Beach tomorrow.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fish-aholic

To those who have tested and reached 20lb+ of drag on a spring scale with their Abu's; how come the IAR bearing held up to 20lb+ of drag without being damaged - or at least give and slip?

Fish-aholic

Also, how do people successfully test drag ranges that surpass the capabilities of those conventional reels using IAR bearings without doing any damage? IAR bearings ain't cheap to replace, and although I'd like to test the max drag capabilites on my reels, I fear damaging IAR bearings in the quest for a max drag figure  ???