CHECKING OUT SOME GEARS

Started by Alto Mare, January 02, 2013, 08:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Agree with Lee.  Differences in material, esp. in terms of comparing low carbon and other higher carbon an alloy steels, it can be a night and day difference.  Considering that the gears are assumed to be made in fairly recent times, it's unlikely that the materials would differ so much as to make a substantial difference in performance.  That is to say that if the same size gears were to be compared if made with the two different materials shown in the samples, there would likely not be a 100% difference in strength of any kind (e.g., yield, compression, tensile, etc).  Yes, it's conceivable that hardness could be very different, but again, it's unlikely because both are being made for the same purpose.

In other words, I'd prefer to take my chances against a 4' tall pro wrestler than one of those 7' monsters.  Pound for pound they may be just as strong, but more muscle and meat means more strength.

Sal, if it doesn't make sense to you, it's probably nonsense.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

basto

Hi Sal
Thanks very much for your reply and the photos. Very interesting.I noticed my Penn Torque has the same brownish coloured pinion as the Baja`s. I think it is from heat treating for hardness.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

alantani

yeah, someone asked about that before. the off-colored stainless steel was the result of being heat-treated!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!