CHECKING OUT SOME GEARS

Started by Alto Mare, January 02, 2013, 08:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I was checking out some gears and realized that the main gear from the Baja Special is magnetized. Did Penn do this for castability?
Here are some shots from the Baja's gears and the Senator 117. I read somewhere that the Baja's max drag is at 35lb, the same as the 117:

On the left I have the pinion from the 117, the dot on the right is the pinion from the Baja

The main gears

Here I'm picking up the main gear from the baja with the pinion gear from the 117

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal, The magnetic properties of stainless are not absolute. Even the autenistic grades may only be non magnetic in their soft or annealed states. It all depends on the composition of the stainless and cold working some of these steels can change things. There is a lot of info available online. I don't know what grades of stainless Penn uses. If it is a ss that is hardend then that can make it magnetic. SS will never be a good magnetic material compared to others however. Here is some info:   http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1140  and http://www.corrosionist.com/magnetic_response_stainless_steel.htm  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

I'd be very surprised if the Baja's pinion could withstand a sustained 35lb drag.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Yes Bob, I just remembered that you've mentioned it before. Thanks buddy.

Lee, that pinion is huge, it's heavier than the main and pinion. Every time I look at the gears, I wonder who comes up with those numbers.

Quote from: George4741 on January 03, 2013, 02:12:27 AM
I'd be very surprised if the Baja's pinion could withstand a sustained 35lb drag.
That make two of us Gearge.

Over at BD they're mentioning that the Baja is a good 40# to 50 # reel :-\

Some of this stuff just doesn't make sense to me, but it might  just be me.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 03, 2013, 02:36:33 AM

Over at BD they're mentioning that the Baja is a good 40# to 50 # reel :-\

Some of this stuff just doesn't make sense to me, but it might  just be me.

I hope they mean 40-50# mono or spectra with a drag setting of about 1/3rd of that. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

You're right George, the discussion is about 40#/50# test line, I did hear some loading it with 100#.

broadway

Sal,
     Without a complete annealing treatment, stainless will never have zero magnetism.
I don't believe the pinion of the Baja can take what the 14/0's pinion can take, but I can't speak from experience.
Dom

basto

Hi Sal
How does the pinion of a 113h compare in size to the Bajas pinion
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

SoCalAngler

No Sal Penn lists the drag at 27 lbs

Here is the link to the Baja Special I listed in the other post.
http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/conventional-reels/star-drag-reels/baja-special

I'm getting 28 lbs on mine with the drag set to "stupid tight".

RowdyW

Hey Sal, maybe they magnitize the gear so that when it shreds all the metal will be in one pile for easy removal. He He .....      Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 03, 2013, 05:30:44 AM
No Sal Penn lists the drag at 27 lbs

Here is the link to the Baja Special I listed in the other post.
http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/conventional-reels/star-drag-reels/baja-special

I'm getting 28 lbs on mine with the drag set to "stupid tight".
Thanks SocalAngler, yes I do know that it is rated at 27lb and yes I'm also aware that some  load them up with 80#/100# and pull fish well over 200# with it.
I wanted to compare its gears to the gears from the 117, simply because I'm puzzled.
Take a closer look at those gears from the 117, the ID on the pinion  is  10x larger. the pinion from the Baja can almost slide into the 117 pinion. I'm trying to figure out how they came up with 35# for the 117, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on January 03, 2013, 05:05:44 AM
Hi Sal
How does the pinion of a 113h compare in size to the Bajas pinion
I took a couple of shots, Basto. The ones on the right are similar to the gears in the Tank, almost the same ratio as the Bajas

Sal

CapeFish

Interesting topic. What impact does the quality of material have? There are so many grades of metal and treatments. Do the Bajas fail? If not then there is no problem. If you look at the big fish that gets caught with the smaller jigging reels then it does seem like modern materials are going a long way to allow the use of smaller reels. Also the very big 17/0 may have a drag of 35lb when it is full but it must be able to withstand a very big increase in drag as it empties when a fish takes line, surely more so than a smaller reel? Look how rifles have evolved from old blunder busses to highly compact high powered assault rifles of today that can digest thousands of rounds at startling velocities and pressures, all because of improvements in materials and manufacturing.

Keta

Quote from: CapeFish on January 03, 2013, 01:40:46 PM
Interesting topic. What impact does the quality of material have?

A big impact.  We built a large ramp for a barge out of T-1 steel that was considerably lighter than all the low carbon steel ramps around. Everyone said it would not work...it did work well and much better than the low carbon steel ones. Brass is not that good, add tin to the brass and you have a much better gear material, bronze.  I don't like gears made out of most SS alloys due to galling but the metal I prefer, inconel, is epensive and hard to machine.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain