349H 3+0 to 349 7+1 Conversion

Started by Keta, January 04, 2013, 01:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Thanks to George my search for a 349H turned into a search for a 349 and I fianaly got the parts to do it.  For years I thought the reels I had were the slow speed 349 but George posted dimentions of the gears and I found out I alredy had a few 349H reels.  Well...then I had to have a 349 :P.  After a long search I located a 12-349 Yoke, a 13-349 Pinion Gear and a 5-349 main gear, all NOS.  George mentioned using 113H CF washers and I had a set of reformed .020 ones setting around so I drew up some metal washers and had them cut from .035 SS for this reel.

A 5+1 349/349H can be made using stock Penn metal washers or Smooth Drag has much better SS 349H metal washers.  I have a few spare .035 349 washers but not many.

I mixed up the main gears in the photo (sure glad I didn't try this in the reel) but the rest is a 349 7+1 on the left 349H on the right.  If you look close at the bridge you will see a hand made SS 15-349 AR dog.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Good job, Lee.  What are you going to try it out on first, perhaps halibut?  It should be a heck of a winch with it's low gear ratio and 1+7 drag.

I will probably keep mine with a 1+5 drag.  I don't want to stress the old boy too much.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

First, thank you for the help in getting my first 349.

Halibut is the only thing that we have here that will give a reel like this a good test unless I can convince someone to target salmon sharks.  I'm thinking about bench testing it to see if I can tear the ears off of the thin eared washers but sometime in the future I'll cut some .047 washers and convert it to a 5+1.  Bryan suggested putting the Belleville washers in a different location, one on top of the last keyed washer and one under the star and it seems to work well.

BTW, I have the 12-349 yoke drawn up and ready to test cut and drop into my reel, SS 15-349 dogs next.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Lee, if I renewed your interest in the 349/349H, you're welcome.  I think they are neat reels.  Thanks again for the washers. 

If I remember right, you've mentioned seeing some wharped 349 spools, I suppose from using mono.  If I decided to "tank" a 349, I'm thinking I should replace the stock spool with a Newell.  Would an aluminum Newell spool be less likely to get out-of-round? 
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I think so but I now fill the spools with low compressing/stretch Dacron or Spectra with a 10'-200' mono topshots, the shorter the better for my use.  Did I send you the link too the Newll 349 spool source?

Mark Twain

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD