Ice Fishing with the Wife

Started by George4741, January 04, 2013, 05:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

My wife enjoys fishing even more than I do, so, yesterday I decided to take her ice fishing at Eagle Valley Reservoir near Pioche Nevada.  We made it a quick day trip as it is only 200 miles one way.  We arrived at 0800 hours and the temperature was a cool 4 degrees.  I bored a couple of holes in the ice and it was over 6 inches thick.  Safe enough for us.    

Here is a photo of the lake from the earthen dam.

Here is my wife all bundled up, a little chilled but nevertheless enjoying herself.

All but one of the trout were greater than 12 inches.  Nice catch for this lake.

Here are some tools of the trade.

My wife complained she was too cold to take a photo of me, so here is an old photo taken at the very same spot on February 14th 2012.  That's right, I took her ice fishing on Valentine's Day last year. ;D

About 10 miles from the lake we saw five wild horses.  Here are three of them.  

A little further down the road we saw a deer hide.  Poachers, perhaps?

The whole trip from start to finish was about 12 hours.  Normally we would spend the night in Pioche, but I had to go to work today.  All in all, a very nice short trip.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

HOLEINTHEWATER

HERE IN PHOENIX ARIZONA IT HAS BEEN IN THE 50'S F AND 60'S F AND IT IS TO COLD FOR ME TO GO FISH. WENT SHOOTING SPORTING CLAYS YESTERDAY AFTERNOON AND THE WIND WAS BLOWING PRETTY GOOD. MADE IT FUN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO DO. GLAD YOU CAUGHT SOME FISH.

Alto Mare

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Too bad you can't build a fire on the ground to keep warm ;D.
I'm guessing those trout freeze as soon as they come out of the hole, can't get fish any fresher than that.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Thanks George, looks like a good trip. Your wife is a trooper. you better keep her.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 04, 2013, 11:34:22 AM
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Too bad you can't build a fire on the ground to keep warm ;D.
I'm guessing those trout freeze as soon as they come out of the hole, can't get fish any fresher than that.
Yes, fire and ice don't mix. :o ;D  Cave Lake is another lake about 100 miles north of Eagle Valley where the local rotary club hosts an annual ice fishing derby in January.  About 500 people turn out for that event.  They cut 55 gallon drums in half, mount them on legs and sled runners, pull them out on the ice and build fires to keep the fishermen warm.  That is for the wimpy guys. ;)  My buds and I don't need no fire. ;)  Even though that ice is generally 16 inches thick, they have to move the fire pits around so they don't completely melt through the ice.  No ice fishing huts allowed, either. 

Quote from: Cone on January 04, 2013, 02:13:36 PM
Thanks George, looks like a good trip. Your wife is a trooper. you better keep her.  Bob

Thanks Bob, and I hope she keeps me. ;D   
viurem lliures o morirem

Dominick

Good job.  I never tried ice fishing so I looked up Pioche Nevada.  I don't think I'll go there to ice fish, it's half way to nowhere.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George4741

Quote from: Pescachaser on January 05, 2013, 07:02:43 PM

Good job.  I never tried ice fishing so I looked up Pioche Nevada.  I don't think I'll go there to ice fish, it's half way to nowhere.   ;D Dominick

Dominick, you won't be attending the ice fishing derby at Cave Lake? ;)  I think millions of others agree with you about the "nowhere" thing.  Nearby Great Basin National Park is among the 10 least visited national parks in the system.          
viurem lliures o morirem