Side plate casting bearings and ZPI lubrication!

Started by thedw, January 05, 2013, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedw

Hi guys! new to the forum! v infomative site with tons of info! ;D

just curious do some of you guys run your side plate bearings(the ones for casting) without the shields? what are the pros and cons casting with shields and un-shielded? ??? ??? ???

also has anyone tried out the ZPI friction zero grease and ZPI super conc? how they compare to carls and corrosion X?

thks! :D

thedw

also if i were to use a dry lub ie teflon on unshielded bearings.. would that be advisable ?

alantani

i tried a dry teflon lube a while back.  the bearings spun like crazy but only for a few weeks, not the months or years that i've seen with tsi 301.  open bearings means they are easier to clean, easier to lube and they will not hole water like a shielded bearing will.  they can still corrode without regular lubrication. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

buitrechico

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

It all depends on what kind of fishing you practice.When a long distance casting is required (Surfcasting),and the rig with the sinker must reach 170 meters or more,unshielded ball bearings are not recommended because lube (thin oil) is displaced out of the ball bearings due to the high speed of rotation of the spool.By the other hand, in my experience,a dry teflon lubricant does not last long (I still didn't try TSI 301)
For boat fishing,or lures casting I agree with Alan about unshielded bearings.
Ricardo Dell´Aquila