Penn 1/0 rebuild and upgrade

Started by Baronsrods, January 05, 2013, 11:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baronsrods

I just had to thank Alan and every active member on this site for all of your info and insight to upgrading Penn reels. My latest (only my second) reel rebuild might just become one of my favorite inshore reels. It's a Penn 1/0 with a Tiburon frame and spool , a stainless gear sleeve , Smooth drag washers and ground flat metals and a new custom handle. It has been assembled with cals grease and CorrosionX. The free spool has increased dramatically and the drag is as smooth as silk. I love the size of this reel. Well thanks again and I already have a few more reels planned to start.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

I think the bug has bitten another unsuspecting soul. ;)  The 1/0 is a classy looking reel.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I was going to post "fish on"  ;D

I just finished putting a SS gearsleeve and the first useable SS 15-309 dog in a Tib framed 99 width 112H.  I need to catch up on photos and will try to post one of this reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Keta,
Is the 99 wider or thinner than a stock 112H? I didn't know Tib made a frame for other than stock sized 112Hs.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Thinner, I wish it was a topless frame but I'm happy to have it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Here is a poor photo of my narrow 112H, bottom center with a Tib 99 framed Jigmaster on the left and a 99 on the right.  Top from the left factory width 501 and 112H.

and and

Mark Twain

George4741

Lee,
Is your Tib framed 112H narrower than a stock one? 
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Yes, the stock width 112H (with the red Newell bars and Newell spool) is above the Tib framed 112HN, bottom center.  I'm still looking for a 501 width 112H frame and spool or just a spool.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

So is the 112HN a 60 spool, or would that be the 501 width? Does Tib still makr those frames?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The shaft on a 60 spool is wrong for a 112H side plate.  I'm not sure if they are exactly the same width but a 501 and a 60 are close, the cross bars are not interchangeable though.  Tib does not list them and the 501 width 112H frame was a limited special order, I think for a SoCal sporting goods store.  I've only seen one.  If we could come up with a hundred or so of us that "must have" a 501 width 112H we could ask Tib if they will make another run.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Well, that bright chrome spool you sent me has given it's new owner her first birds nest. They both should be through that by the time fishing gets hot. This is definatly the size spool I want to fish and so count me as one of the hundred.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

I'm glad the spool went to a good place, kids are our future.

Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on January 07, 2013, 09:41:39 PM

If we could come up with a hundred or so of us that "must have" a 501 width 112H we could ask Tib if they will make another run.

I realize we are drifting away from the 1/0 with this thread, but I'm in for a narrow 112H.  After all, I am narrow minded. :D
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Mandelstam

Sorry for continuing the off topic discussion but I'm also in for a narrow 112h! :)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea