C454-5

Started by shearb, January 06, 2013, 05:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shearb

Hey guys,

I have a tiburon frame on my Newell and I took it apart recently to grease the guts... now that its together it seems my spool is loose, when i tilt my reel up/down/sideways i can hear different noise almost like its grinding, but i dont think it is. Is there a way to tighten my spool? When I took it apart again to look at it the gears where they connect maybe the pinion and main gear? the pinion gear seems to be pretty loose, it movies way more freely then it should be which i think causes the noise. Im pretty new to the whole take apart reels scene so sorry for the written confusion. Any help will be appericated!

Brian

(I want to added some carbon fiber drags as well, best place to buy?)

Keta

Quote from: shearb on January 06, 2013, 05:28:57 PM

(I want to added some carbon fiber drags as well, best place to buy?)

Smooth Drag
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

shearb

Carontex? Should I just order from the website? Also what is the bearing cap for "end play" I dont understand the purpose? Should it be screwed tight??

alantani

try adjusting the end caps to center the spool.  if the right side bearing cap is not adjustable AND the spool makes noise when tipped to the right, then you may need a washer to shim the bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: shearb on January 06, 2013, 05:38:15 PM
Carontex? Should I just order from the website?
Yes and yes, if you can't find what you want give Dawn a call.  I'm totaly clueless on Newell reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

shearb

Hey thanks guys. I tried the stuff last night and no joy Alan. I will take it apart and record it and throw it on youtube to get better description. Also when putting back after drags and washers, there were random washer that i didnt know what they were even after looking at the schematic for 400 series, maybe there is a better schematic then just the "400s" series? Thanks!!

Newell Nut

The 400 schematic is just fine. If you are not the original owner of the reel it can have most anything in it. I just rebuilt one for my captain and it had a bunch of parts in it that did not belong. I have it back to original now. One thing that you may find when replacing the drags is that when trying to get the drag too tight the star will bump the side plate. What you do then is add another 3-18 washer between the water seal bushing and the star. If the old thrust washer under the gear was one of those plastic ones you can trim it to the same OD as the 3-18 and use it to keep the star off the side plate if you should run into that problem.

Between the seal and star is the 3-18 SS washer, then the star, then the 3-16 washer, then the handle, the the plastic washer and finally the nut. I did not mention the very thin belleville washer between the star and the 3-16 washer because you don't need it.

shearb

Hey thanks a lot!!! Ill open it back up for the 13412 time! If I have problems, I'll post pics, thanks again!!!

Also the small pinion gear that connects to the main gear (where the spool attaches to?) It's pretty loose and sounds crappy at times and sometimes falls off track when tilted at an angle, is this normal? And should I upgrade the plastic end screw cap to the s/s cap? Whats the big difference? Should I have my 'end play' tight, loose in the middle? All that is for is how my spool spins, correct? So I guess it affects my casting? Thanks!

brian

alantani

hi, bryan.  i guess it's the frustration that makes this stuff so addicting......   :-\

so, bearings first!  take the bare spool and bare frame, add the side plates with bearings only, no guts.  put it all together and use the end caps to center the spool.  your goal is "zero load, zero free play."  the spool should spin like crazy, and it should be quiet.    if it makes noise, it means one or both of the bearings are rough.  to figure out which one, pull them and check by hand, or just spin the spool and turn the spool down to one side and then down to the other.  the bearing on the "down" side is the bad one. 

now put the entire reel together and spin the spool again.  if it starts banging up against something now, it will be just the right side.  you may have to shim the spool over to the the left a little. 

this is fun, huh!!!!!

shearb

Alan,

I did what you said and I couldnt figure out how to center the spool.  But my spool def makes a lot of noise when free spooled. I think my left bearing are bad I guess? It spins freeley really good though... I oiled my bearings, not sure if I was suppose to they are suppose to be lifetime bearings right, without oiling them? Sometimes my right bearing gets stuck on the spool lever and hard to get off when put together, could that be an issue? Do you live on Oahu? If so maybe I can drop it off to get looked at? I can compensate for your time ! Thanks

Brian

alantani

if the bearings are rough at all, they will have to be replaced.  i'm in california, but there are several guys that can help.