Aloha from Kalapana, Hawaii

Started by manini, January 07, 2013, 01:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manini

Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii! I've been doing a ton of research on finding the best reliable reels for fishing in Hawaii and this site has been popping up more, and more...so I started reading and reading here... and realized that I need to be a part of this! I've really learned a lot and hope to continue by reading everyone's contributions.

Fishing in Hawaii is extremely diverse and so you really need a larger quiver than many other places...this of course requires more equipment, more money and more maintenance....and if you are on the lower pay scale like myself, that means you need to be akamai about what you buy, or else you won't take advantage of all the different styles of fishing.

Currently I fish from shore, whipping, dunking and learning slide bait fishing....as well as trolling for mahi/ahi/ono/etc or fishing the buoys (on my friends boat.....ideal situation) , or fishing from my Hobie AI kayak out of Hilo. I'm trying to get into fishing for bigger species and I know this requires more specialized, expensive gear and so I really want to learn as much as I can so I can fish as much as possible and not be bummed out b/c my reel stay bust, or I can't afford to buy the gold interntl's..etc

I probably won't be posting a lot of rebuilds, hotrods, etc for a while b/c my gear hasn't crapped out on me lately...but garands, I will! And I'm kinda starting to feel like building something kewl like a lot of the reels I've seen on here lately!!!!! Anyways, Aloha and I look forward to posting and checking people's rigs and stories~ Aloha, Daniel
Hanapa'a

raumati01

Welcome, if you kayak fish this is a great place to learn how to keep your reels alive.

Makule

Aloha.  E komo mai.

QuoteI probably won't be posting a lot of rebuilds, hotrods, etc for a while b/c my gear hasn't crapped out on me lately...but garands, I will!

I think the better approach would be to prevent the gear from failing.  That is, to a large extent, what many of the reel modifications are about, that you will find on this Forum.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

Cone

Welcome, Post pics of your fishing trips sometime. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bill B

welcome from the Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!