Senator 113 HLW drag stack stuck

Started by bb2fish, January 07, 2013, 04:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: broadway on January 07, 2013, 06:33:32 PM

.....you wanna make it till your next birthday ;)
Dom

Asbestos is not that bad but I wouldn't snort lines of it...or breath any now.  When I worked in the powerhouse we were exposed to asbestos daily. One time a fist size chunk bounced off my hard hat and I was in a cloud of dust, over 30 years ago.  I filled out a accident report and an asbestos exposure form after I screamed at the idiot dragging the bag of asbestos down the stairs above me.

I put asbestos drag washers in a heavy ziploc bag for disposal.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bb2fish

The brass sleeve looks like it's damaged from the eared washer, so there isn't much to salvage by pushing out the pin.  Good suggestion.  I think that's why the main gear will not come off the sleeve in the first place - the washer is gouging into the sleeve shaft AND into the inside of the main gear with the ears.  It's really buggered.  I think the root cause of this whole mess is a missing coil spring on the dog.  There wasn't one in there -- the reel had been serviced about 5 years ago, then when it failed to work, it sat on the shelf for a couple years until now.

The owner purchased this new around 2005, do you think it still had asbestos drags in that year of manufacture?  I could pick off a few washers from the stack, the top-most non metal washer that did come off looks like carbontex drags.  Or is this asbestos?

Thanks so much for your comments.

Keta

The washer in this photo is HT-100 and asbestos free.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bb2fish

Is HT-100 a material name?  Is that the same as Carbontex, or is that another material name?

Phew - glad to know it's not asbestos.

Keta

Ht-100 (Penn), Carbontex (Smooth Drag) and Dartanium II (Shamano) are proprietary names for carbon fiber drag washers.  I prefer Dawn's Carbontex.

Mark Twain

bb2fish

I'm more stubborn than a stuck drag stack.  Finally broke the stack free after soaking and picking for 4 days.  Doesn't look like any damage to the drive gear ear wells or the bridge shaft now that everything is clean.  Just really corroded the fiber washers were like glue.

So, I got my new stack of washers 6-113HSP from the ebay link - the replacement stack is not the same as the old stack.  There's one thicker keyed washer, and I don't know where this goes in the whole stack.  Do I just put it on top of the last thin keyed washer?  Then the tapered washer on top of that inside the bridge?

Bridge
          HT
Main Gear
HT
keyed
HT
ear
HT
keyed
HT
ear
HT
keyed
thick keyed
tapered washer (tapered from ID to OD, so I don't know if it should be installed as a funnel or a volcano on the shaft) ??  Wish I would have taken a good picture of that one on disassembly - which way should it point?

Part 8A in the schematic looks a little thicker, but it's called tension spring drag and looks like it's on top of the whole drag stack almost identical to the keyed washer just thicker.  Part 8 is called tension spring, but it looks like a curved washer (like one bellville).

Thanks

Keta

The thicker keyed washer should be on the top of the drag stack like you thought, the Belleville spring washer (the cone shaped one) should be put on top of the drag stack with the high part toward the star and away from the last keyed washer.  
On my personal reels I loose the last thin keyed and put the thick one on top of the last CF washer.  Then fill the space with another bellville under the star (thanks for the tip Bryan) with the high part toward the drag stack.

Mark Twain

bb2fish

Thanks Lee and others!  The reel is back together and perfectly functional!!! 
Wow, I'm just so pleased...never knew I could do that.  Thanks for the help on this forum.