Senator 113 HLW drag stack stuck

Started by bb2fish, January 07, 2013, 04:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bb2fish

I'm fixing a Senator 113 HL W that has a siezed drag.  There is so much corrosion on the drag stack, that I can't get the washers out of the main gear and I can't get the main gear off the drive shaft.  I have peeled off the top metal washers and one drag washer, I'm down to the eared washer, but the stack is totally siezed.  Any suggestions on how to break this apart?   Really need some help.  Thanks.

Keta

Put the handle screw back in the gear sleeve to protect the end then put the screw on a block of wood, tap the gear off with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle, it might take some hard hits to get it moving.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

If you concentrate on releasing the main gear from the sleeve, the washers will most likely break free.  Throw some Kroil around, let sit for the night then go with the hammer tapping gently, or better yet ask someone to tap one side of the gear while you tap the other... usually works out better that way.
Good luck,
Dom

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bb2fish

What's Kroil?  I've got a pool of boeshield penetrant on the eared washer, maybe some will soak in. There's black crystally corrosion right next to the shaft, I've scraped that smooth, and used a dental pick to get some penetrant down into the stack.  I'll let it soak, then give it a whack.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm probably going to need all new washers and drags to reassemble, don't you think?

Keta

Kroil is one of the best penetrating oils on the market.
http://www.kanolabs.com/
You might be able to salvage the metal washers but it's a not quick and easy, the fiber washers are shot.

Mark Twain

broadway

Give the boeshield a shot, it may work, it's pretty good stuff, but have to agree with Lee... Kroil is da bomb!
Hope it works
Dom

alantani

small screw driver or ice pick and a hammer....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on January 07, 2013, 08:24:39 AM
small screw driver or ice pick and a hammer....   :-\
X2
Place the gear upside down on apiece of wood and hit the tip of the washers using a screwdriver and a small hammer. Do this at different spots and it should come out. if the hammer and screwdriver doesn't help, toss everything in the trash and don't waste your time. New gears for these reels are not that costly.
The washers will be shot, maybe you could save the metal washers, but you won't need them.
Dawn, at smoothdrag has some replacement washers, but I'm not sure if she has the kit.
I get my kits from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-DRAG-WASHER-KIT-6-113HSP-/150856928446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231fc60cbe
Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I've had to soak the gear in hot vinegar to get the bottom fiber washer and keyed washer out on a few reels, greased CF washers cure this problem.  BTW, muratic acid does not play well with a brass gear >:(

Mark Twain

bb2fish

I think I found the root cause of the stuck stack.  The eared washer appears to have wedged into the side of the drive gear, so mechanically, the washer stack is stuck on the shaft.  The eared washer is probably digging into the side of the shaft too, but I can't get a good photo to show that.

I was able to free the fiber washer below the main gear using a razor blade - it freely spins now, but I still can not remove the drive gear.  If I could twist the eared washer back so the ears were aligned in the groove, then maybe the main gear off would slide on the shaft.  It's probably all damaged -- inside the main gear on the ear groove, and probably the shaft going to the bridge -- so looks like I need new gear and bridge.  I'm still stubborn - How could I twist that eared washer counter clockwise inside the gear?

Thanks for the link to order the drag kit, got one ordered, might be ordering the rest of the parts later today or when I give up.  Gotta get me some Kroil too.

Keta

Sometimes you can twist and pull the gear off but you will probably have to tap the gear off, if it is the ear the stack should fall out.  The fiber washers look like the old asbestos containing ones, be careful.

Mark Twain

broadway

I'm gonna have to agree with Sal at this point... leave it alone and buy new... it'll work forever when you take care of it with the A.T. treatment.
Lee's right, stay away from banging on the asbestos washers, you wanna make it till your next birthday ;)
Dom

bb2fish

Tile

You can drift out the gearsleeve retaining pin and separate the bridge and sleeve. Next soak the drag stack in oil to prevent asbestos fibers from doing damage to your health and tap the gearsleeve out. After the gearsleeve is out you can trash the drag stack and be able to use the sleeve, gear and bridge. The leftover drag washers should be disposed properly (asbestos).
In solid fiberglass we trust