113H narrow spool shaft separation

Started by p-deverett, January 13, 2013, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p-deverett

On my first drop with my narrowed 113H, accurate spool and frame the drag wouldn't engage and I had to hand line the jig back. Back at the camp I stripped the reel down and the spool was spinning in the shaft and now home and disassembled the shaft has come out completely from the spool. It was a new accurate narrow spool on its first use.
I presume I can glue the shaft back into the spool, but am looking for advice on any other repair options? I was going to use west systems epoxy but am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Peter

suitekids

Unfortunately, you should replace it, it will come back and haunt you at the most inopportune time, but, I guess if you are hell bent, JB Weld is probably a quick fix.

Alto Mare

Lee might be able to place a pin or two through the spool, but I'm not sure.
I'm sure he will check in and let you know, he loves a challenge ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tile

To solve the problem glue the shaft inside the spool, take the line off the spool and with the aid of a drill press drill a hole through the spool and shaft for a crosspin.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Keta

BUMMER!!!

Contact Accurate and see what they have to say, I'm not sure you will get anywhere but it's worth the try.

Pinning it can be done.  Knurling the shaft then pressing it in with epoxy or JB weld would work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tile

Crospinning is the better solution and can be done with regular tools.
In solid fiberglass we trust

redsetta

QuoteIt was a new accurate narrow spool on its first use.
Bummer indeed! :-\
I'm with Lee - contact Accurate.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

ok, this is going to get ugly.  it's likely that accurate will not support this product anymore.  what i would do is this. i would grind or file down a flat surface on the spool shaft, right in the middle, then mark the position/orientation of the flat on the end of the spool.  i'd tap the spool shaft back into the spool and figure out exactly where that flat side is.  then i would "crimp" the arbor of the spool, just over the flat side of the spool shaft and lock that thing into place.  the spool is aluminum.  the spool shaft it stainless steel.  you're going to mess up the arbor, so cover it with flex wrap or electrical tape.  get a good enough "crimp" and it will hold.  you're going to need ALOT of pressure.  this will not be easy or pretty, but it should work.  if you drill a hole in the spool shaft, it will likely shear. 

another alternative is to flatten out the spool shaft in spots by whailing on it with a hammer, then pound it into the spool, but you will probably damage the end of the spool shaft when you pound it into the spool. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

p-deverett

Thanks for all the info, I have sent a note to accurate and will see if they come back with any info.

Peter