Power handles.

Started by Ron Jones, January 14, 2013, 06:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So, I'm working on sort of a "before and after" thread on my daughters 85s. One has been redone with a bronze spool, stainless sleeve, 5+1 drags and, most importantly for this thread, a 113 star and handle. The other one is still stock. My 3 year old absolutely loves to reel the rebuilt one mounted on the 6 foot Mariner I put the reels on. She has gotten to where she can spin the thing pretty smoothly and today I showed her how to put on the click and she about wet herself! I guess it is her new baby rattle.

So, after the rattle discovery, she picks up the rod with the stock reel. She tries a few turns, looks up at me and says " Daddy, Ashley's reel is broken." then she puts it back and gets her sisters and makes her rattle!

Their is of course nothing wrong with the stock reel, the mechanical advantage of the rebuilt reel just makes it much easier to turn.

Anyone who doesn't think power handles are worth it, I recommend you refer to the experience of my 3 year old.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"