Bearing Packer

Started by Novotz, January 14, 2013, 05:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novotz

Hi guys, first time posting here! I am in the process of going through and cleaning my old gen 1 International 30's. As a part of this process I have upgraded the drag washers to the intermediate 6A-30 HT-100 Carbon Fiber disks and took out the original drive plate and asbestos ring. I want to pack the bearings with yamaha grease, as these will be trolling reels only. I have sent Alan an email about his bearing, but it seems that the original batch is sold out I guess. When searching around for a comparable tool I found two other styles, the double cone and the clear jar style.

Has anyone has good results with either of these styles? The double cone seems to imploy a similar tactic as Alans packer, albeit not as good though. It would also allow for larger diameter bearings to be used.

I have one concern though, it seems like these packers are designed for cage-roller type bearings that are used in wheel bearings and not the shielded ball bearings that reels use.

If anyone can advise on this it would be great!

Bryan Young

The bearing packers are intended to be used with metal sheilded bearings.  The ones with the soft plastic shields, I would recommend pulling one out before packing the bearings. 

I may have one of his prototypes left if he is out. 

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Novotz

Thanks Bryan, All of my bearings are metal shielded types without the retaining ring that can be removed so this is kind of my only shot to do it.