Pro Gear CS 550

Started by handi2, January 14, 2013, 08:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Hello,

I am working on a Pro Gear CS 550 that was used for jigging in the Gulf of Mexico. After servicing the reel it is evident that the gears are stripped. I think just replacing the pinion gear will do the trick.

Does anyone know which Penn brass pinion gear they used? Is the a SS replacement?

Thank you
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

day0ne

I don't believe the CS 550 uses Penn gears. Have you tried talking to pro gear ? They are on ebay as "socalfishingtackle". Bryan probably has the phone number
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

you have to get them directly from Randy.  Fortunately, Randy has a stock of these gears.  His contact info is randyhkao@aol.com, (714) 606-8288, and address 557 S. Coralridge Place, City of Industry,CA 91746
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Thank you very much for the info..!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

if that doesn't work, let me know.......  

also, i generally recommend replacing gears as a set. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

I couldn't tell until I marked the spool with a sharpie that it was the braid slipping....Not the gears..! I feel like a dummy...
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

That's good that it wasn't the gears. Slipping braid is a common issue with many reels if line is not put on a certain way. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D