Applying Cal's Grease

Started by striper15, January 15, 2013, 01:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

striper15

Posted this same concern in "General Questions and Trouble Shooting", only to later realize this would of been the better section to do so...

Hey Guys –

First post, so bear with me if this is a redundant question. Don't mean it to be.  Received 3 sets of carbontex drag washers from Smooth Drag today for my Calcutta TE and Curado reels thanks to this site. Wanted to know the proper way to apply Cal's grease; do you grease the carbontex washers or the reel's metal  drag washers? Or both?  Also, how do you know when you have the right amount grease applied. Lastly, how often do you need to re-apply the grease?

Great site here with a ton of helpful info for us DIYers. Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Eric

suitekids

I don't put it on liberally, but, it's on there pretty good on all surfaces of the metals and carbontex washers, while the bridge is out I assemble the sleeve completely less handle and crank the star down and the excess oozes out the top of the gear, wipe it off with my fingertip, unscrew the star and put the bridge assembly back into the sideplate. Has worked perfectly for me. Let the tension evenly distribute cals and excrete the rest, just my way of doing it.

Bryan Young

Quote from: suitekids on January 15, 2013, 02:54:46 AM
I don't put it on liberally, but, it's on there pretty good on all surfaces of the metals and carbontex washers, while the bridge is out I assemble the sleeve completely less handle and crank the star down and the excess oozes out the top of the gear, wipe it off with my fingertip, unscrew the star and put the bridge assembly back into the sideplate. Has worked perfectly for me. Let the tension evenly distribute cals and excrete the rest, just my way of doing it.
What he said.  ;D

I use an acid brush and a tooth brush in applying the grease so I can work it between the fibers. If I'm doing a lot of washers, I rub it in with my fingers then grab the next washer and repeat the process.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

eaguon

I was wondering the same thing. So... when you apply Cal's Grease to star drags you put it on liberally and when you apply it to lever drags, you wipe the excess off? I think I need to get this right, before attempting to service a few more reels. Thanks for your help.

suitekids

Quote from: eaguon on January 15, 2013, 07:43:13 AM
I was wondering the same thing. So... when you apply Cal's Grease to star drags you put it on liberally and when you apply it to lever drags, you wipe the excess off? I think I need to get this right, before attempting to service a few more reels. Thanks for your help.

you don't have to be that particular, it's ok if Cals grease gets inside of everything, some people use it to grease all the internals, its not cheap, so most use it strictly for the drags and components because of the Teflon base. If you put too much on, don't worry about it, I personnally use it for the drags and OMC Triple Guard for the internals and screw threads, it's less cost prohibitive that way. I also try and be neat and tidy about it, but its ok if the Cal's squeezes out some, GO Fish!!

Alto Mare

I use nitrile gloves, I scoop up a little Cal's using the washer and rub it with my fingers and set it aside on a paper towel. I do all my washers at once, when done, I'll place  the lid back on the Cal's and get it out of the way.
A member had issues with drags, I don't remember who, I suggested to open the reel up and to wipe the Cal's off the washers, he probably  had too much on. After doing so, the reel worked fine again. This was a star drag reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

suitekids

I lick my fingers after applying  ;D

Alto Mare

I forgot to mention, I've been doing carpentry and masonry for over 35 years. If I grouted tiles that day or layed some stones, I won't use gloves ...cleans my hands right up ;) ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

suitekids

Sad to say but 46 years and still going on this end, but this is what I was getting at for these fine gents, before it all goes back together, I run a foam q-tip around the top of the stack after it's been squeezed out with the star drag, I also use an acid swab with the bristles cut short and swipe all the greased surfaces, then it's ready for final assembly, this ain't rocket science, but an illustration here kinda shows it in the rough for an idea of what it looks like, I suspect everyone has a different method to attain the same goal, this works, and always has, for me that is.

eaguon

Bryan Young

And yes, for lever drag reels.  Apply and wipe off so that it does not bind with the pressure plate due to grease friction between the drag material and the pressure plate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

eaguon

striper15

Thanks guys for all the input. Used a small stiif brush to work the Cal's into the drags fibers. Lightly coated the metal washers as well. Worked like a charm! Appreciate the help...

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 15, 2013, 10:59:45 AM
I forgot to mention, I've been doing carpentry and masonry for over 35 years. If I grouted tiles that day or layed some stones, I won't use gloves ...cleans my hands right up ;) ;D.
Lol i might have to try this
Grayson Lanier

Mic

I know this is an old post and I hope yawl don't mind me bringing it back up but I have a question that is well, important to me.

Should I use Cal's to lube the drag washers, assembly and mechanicals of the right or handle side of the reel and use marine grease for the clicker or left side ?

Are there any issues with cross contamination of these two greases if I used Cal's for the drag washers and marine grease for the mechanical drives on the same side ?

Yawl are great!

Thanks for all the help, Mic