Beastmaster

Started by Keta, January 15, 2013, 06:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Has anyone successfully replaced the drag material (what is that gunk?) with CF on a Beastmaster?  I had to use hot gasolene (at great risk of loosing my beard or worse) to get it off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

Yeah, Jack Erskine made a batch of replacement drag washers with a more stable material and CF friction lining. Not sure where that stuff is now. Maybe his son knows. Or Dawn.

Then there is that fellow Glen Pamaran in San Diego. I don't know him. Google it, or search here.

I could do it too i suppose, but i live very far away. Last resort.

Keta

Do you know if the replaced the slotted metal disk?  I have the CF thanks to Dawn.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

G'day Lee,
I did my 30/50 and also have a 50/80 (thanks to Albert) that I may do at some stage this year.
The gunk is what's left of a silicon pressure ring which actuates/moderates the drag plate pressure as it contacts the drag washer on the other side.
The original silicon ring liquifies over time and had drained right through mine, requiring a lot of work with acetone to remove.
I replaced the silicon ring with a new one (hopefully of a more robust composition), glued onto the backing plate with good-quality epoxy.
I also upgraded the washer to CF.
It's not 'upgraded' as per what Glenn does, but it works like a charm now nonetheless.
(Posting the reel to Glenn from NZ was neither practical nor affordable.)
I can probably get you a new silicon ring if it'd be of use.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

It's not a have to do job but something someone asked me to look into.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Just make sure you clear my penn parts off your desk before servicing that reel, I don't want any mismatched parts ;)....not that there is anything wrong with Shimano.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I'm clearing up my backlog preparing for the dogs I didn't get today.

Mark Twain