Many thanks for all the tutorials and personal help

Started by tedg, December 01, 2009, 10:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tedg

Alan, just want to say thank you for all the help.  I hope you got your check okay?  To date, I have rebuilt about 15 of the 20 reels I got the parts for.  I received all the parts needed before hand from Alan. At a minimum savings of $35 per reel for doing the work myself, I have already saved ove $400 and will end up saving over $700 before I am done.  Thank you Alan.

I do have a question, On the penn 330 GTI, do you always service the bearings?  The right side brng is stacked into the plate.  The tutorial just showed you lubing them with the shield in place.  Also on the Shimano reels, do you just go directly to them for parts?
Thank you
Ted

alantani

ted, you're welcomed.  sorry it took so long get all the parts together.  got the check as well. thanks!

for the 330 GTI, take a look at the bearing cup.  you will see that it is peened in at 5-6 places.  if the bearing is already toast. grab a hammer and small socket and just pound it out.  if the bearing is still good, don't pound on it because you will ruin it.  take the cutting wheel of a dremmel and grind away at the parts of the bearing cup that are holding in the bearing. then take that same dremmel with a sanding wheel and grind away at the inside of the bearing cup to change it from a pressed fit to a slip fit. 

if the bearing is good, you might be able to leave it in place and remove the shields.  then you can clean it out or pack it with grease, depending on how much freespool you want. 

for shimano parts, i usually just go to shimano.  on occasion, i will call the fisherman's warehouse in sacramento.  they are also great to work with.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!