Looking for tool to remove Bearing Shields

Started by johndtuttle, January 17, 2013, 09:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Hello boyos,

Anyone got a spare tool they can part with for punching out bearing shields? I don't have access to a bench grinder to make my own. Something reasonable that works, can do Paypal to cover cost plus shipping.

best, john

Alto Mare

John, these O-Ring/Hook set have been working out for me:

I got them at Harbor Freight Tools, for a couple of dollars.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bb2fish

I use a dental pick as a tool -- check ebay or ask your dentist.  The pick is sharp enough to extract the retainer ring and lift the shield without damaging either (most of the time).

Once you distort the shield like that, is it garbage and you leave the bearing unshielded?  Or do you flatten it out, and reinstall the shield after packing the bearing with grease? 

Nessie Hunter

I use fishing hooks.....................   
Way sharper/thinner then picks and work great!!
Have a variety sitting on the work bench.....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

johndtuttle

Clarification: Need a tool like Sal's to punch out those that do not have removable shields.

Sal: Do you tap it in with a mallet to punch a hole in the shield with that tool?

bluefish69

The Sheilds are thin NO mallet. Start by the inner race & push a hole in it. Work from there. If I can do it.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

No John, as Bluefish mentioned, no mallet. All you need is a little pressure to poke a hole, you'll then lift it right out. Dental pics might not work, these are much bulkier.
Nessie, you're right about the hook, I believe John is talking about the bearings without the retaining ring. Those will also work on the ones with the retaining ring that won't budge.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

THANKS SAL and for all replies!

I have a pick like that that I never use  ;D.

UK Ron

I use these for a multitude of uses on reels, they have a very sharp point that will push through a bearing shield with ease. I re-sharpen them on a diamond stone when the point dulls.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/blackhead-remover-cleaner-tool-acne-blemish-needle-pimple-spot-extractor-pin-/260934782273?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Skincare_PP&hash=item3cc0eccd41

Dominick

I use an icepick. Those shields are paper thin.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

franky

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 18, 2013, 12:20:49 AM
All you need is a little pressure to poke a hole, you'll then lift it right out.  Those will also work on the ones with the retaining ring that won't budge.

I was just going to ask...

I usually use a fish hook to remove the retainer ring. But sometimes those retainer rings, even when using a fish hook, are very difficult to remove.

Sal, if I were to leave the retainer ring in place and just use the pic and poke a hole on the inner side of the bearing then pry....would the shield just pop right off even with the retaining ring in place?  Gosh, that would really make things easier and safer. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on January 19, 2013, 12:03:03 AM
I use an icepick. Those shields are paper thin.  Dominick
If you stayed in NY you wouldn't need an ice pick ::), I leave my wine outside ;)
Quote from: franky on January 19, 2013, 12:24:17 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 18, 2013, 12:20:49 AM
All you need is a little pressure to poke a hole, you'll then lift it right out.  Those will also work on the ones with the retaining ring that won't budge.

I was just going to ask...

I usually use a fish hook to remove the retainer ring. But sometimes those retainer rings, even when using a fish hook, are very difficult to remove.

Sal, if I were to leave the retainer ring in place and just use the pic and poke a hole on the inner side of the bearing then pry....would the shield just pop right off even with the retaining ring in place?  Gosh, that would really make things easier and safer. 
Yes Franky, the shields will come out even with the retainer. I've done a few that I thought didn't have the retainers, they came out after I destroyed the shield.....oops  :-\

franky

Thanks Sal.  I'll be ordering a set of pics in the next day or so.  :)

Alto Mare

Very good, just make sure you poke the inner side of the shield, as I'm showing.

LLCC

I use Daiichi Aji size 14 high carbon hooks. When they get too dull to dig out bearing shields, I tie them on and they are plenty sharp to catch fish.

HTH,

LL
Lawrence Lee