ABEC 1 Bearings? Opinions

Started by Seachaser, January 18, 2013, 02:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachaser

Anyone ever used these?  I just ordered some at a pretty good price to use in some of my less expensive reels such as Saharas, Spirexes, and the such.  Should they do OK for these type reels? They are SS by the way.

Cone

I always try to use ABEC 5 bearings. I did put an ABEC 3 in a spinning reel because I had one laying around. It worked OK. Definitly better than the bad one that was in the reel. There may be too much play in the bearing or it may work ok in the spinners. Try it. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Seachaser

I will let you know when they get here.  Thanks for the response.  I went back after I posted this and read a discourse on ABEC ratings in a long ago post.  Very different opinions for sure.

Nessie Hunter

If you are going to grease the bearing I see no problem with ABEC #1...

If Oil, it may be noisy as all heck!!! 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Seachaser

They will be greased, but I would not put them in my surf casting outfits.