aloha from Hilo, Hawaii

Started by honolii, January 18, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honolii

aloha, new to the site.  Thanks for the info.  Working on a Taigra 80w.  anyone an expert if we get in trouble?  When do you replace the drag washer...what kind of wear signs.  Is it worth the effort to dismantle the top plate 2 speed and handle gear?   mahalo Bob Duerr outdoor writer Hawaii Fishing News

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Quote from: honolii on January 18, 2013, 07:28:55 PM
Is it worth the effort to dismantle the top plate 2 speed and handle gear?   mahalo Bob Duerr outdoor writer Hawaii Fishing News

Bob:  If you take the rest of it apart and don't take that part apart and clean and grease it, it will nag your conscience until the next time you service the reel.  So go for it.  If you run into a problem we are here to help.  We even have a couple of Hawaiian dudes that know about reels and fishing  ;D.  And welcome from San Mateo, California.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

lawaia

Howzit Bob,

Glad to see another guy from Hawaii here; this is a great site with lotsa real reel experts who are willing to help.  I'm not one of them but they've helped me.  If you're on Oahu then you might as well go for it on your Tiagra 80W 'cause there's a guy here goes by the name kamuwela who's on Oahu and is an expert so he can help you out of any jams.  I'm sure he'll be along shortly to say hello.  There's also a Tiagra tutorial somewhere in the Tiagra form; do a search.  Enjoy reading your column in the HFN; keep up the good work.

Aloha,
lawaia

Whoops, just re-read the title and saw that you're in Hilo...maybe look for the tutorial?

Found it; here's a link: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=835.0 hope it has what you want.

Cone

Welcome. I think makule can help. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

aloha bob and welcome.  when looking for wear signs, first the clicker plate holes get elongated from overusing the clicker. the clicker plate is softer then the clicker then it winds up elongating and hitting the spool. i have seen half moon marks on the spool. the anodising wears out then the corrosion begins. take your time and tear it all the way down youll be fine. i make sure to stuff the clicker with grease and also a little under the bridge. since you fish out of hilo im sure your reels get soaked. grease everything put a light film on the side plates snd some cals grease under the drag plate.

Makule

Bob,

Aloha.  E komo mai.

Haven't heard from you for many years and thought maybe you left paradise.  I'm just up the street from you in Papaikou, so give a shout sometimes.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard from Penna, home of Penn ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Aloha Bob,

E komo mai. Glad to have ya here. If you run into problems, just write here. Kamuwela, on Ohau will surely respond and can guide you through if if problems arise.

They are not hard reels to work on and I'm sure you will not have any problems. Note the shims though. This is what usually is the. Problems with putting these reels back together.

Aloha,

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

honolii

thanks Bryan.  How many guys from Hawaii on the site?  Kamuwela got with me which I appreciated.  mahalo

Bryan Young

Aloha Bob,

I don't know the exact numbers but we have:

Kamuwela
Rodent
Franky
Makule
Lawaia
Kyle Lum
Brian (From Brian's on Oahu)
Lois (from 5O7S on Oahu)

I forget the rest at the moment and I'm sure I'll hear it from them shortly. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D