Squidder 140 - eccentric jack problem

Started by elgoog, January 18, 2013, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elgoog

Hi all -

I opened up a recently acquired Squidder 140 to service and try to figure out why the transitions between freespool and strike weren't happening. I found that the little post on the right side plate that keeps the eccentric jack engaged with the eccentric seems to have broken off (it's what fits in to the longer U slot on the eccentric jack and keeps it from falling off). I'm thinking of a few ways I can try to fix this and was looking for some opinions/suggestions.
1. Attach a bolt to the exact spot on the side plate where the post was and grind it down to the right height - either drill through and screw in from the outside of the plate or super glue it from the inside. I'm a little wary of drilling as I'm afraid I might crack the plate.
2. Is it possible to use the eccentric jack from the Jigmaster (#11-99)? It has a little loop around the hook of the jack that connects to the yoke and might be enough to hold it in place. The loop is wide and still might leave a lot of play but at least it won't let the jack come completely off. The part looks like the mirror image of what I need but I'm curious if the size is similar or the tabs would work properly even when it's flipped.
3. Connect some kind of wire or metal to the existing jack to make a tight loop around the hook to hold it in place with the eccentric.
4. Most drastic options - buy a new side plate or convert the 140 to a left hand retrieve (without working anti-reverse). Considering the cost of either of these is more than the reel itself, all options 1-3 will have to fail for me to go here.

Thanks in advance,
  elgoog

franky

Mysticparts.com has the sideplate for 36.00 plus (approx $8.50 shipping).

I know that sounds like a lot, but imo, there is no subsitute for original equipment manufacture (OEM).  If you are crafty enough, you might be able to do your own modifications.  However, for the time and effort invested, and hoping that the modifications will hold up during fishing, sometimes the $44.50 total cost might not be such a bad idea.  The only down side is I noticed that mysticparts seem to indicate that the color is black.  I've serviced about 4 squidders in the past that were redish maroon color.  If you are  trying to match the colors, then it might be a problem.

Something to consider...

Good luck on your project.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

bluefish69

Go on EBay & Type 140 Squidder Parts  -- bet you find the color you need. That's what I did when I broke 2 501 side plates.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

elgoog

Yep, definitely looking on EBay for the parts. I found the black sideplate as well as a complete left and right sideplate set (the complete set also has all the internal parts so, I'd have spares of everything if the need ever arises)
The merchant I got the 140 from just refunded me a portion of the money when I told him of the problem, so buying the OEM parts isn't going to be as cost prohibitive as I originally thought.
Thanks for the replies. I still might try to fix the broken post when I get some time, just 'cause  :)

- elgoog

Alto Mare

If you have the thicker part of that post still on, you could probably fix it. You need to grind down to the thicker part of the post, mark the bit so you won't go through the plate and glue a metal post of the same thickness, there.
if you don't feel like going through the trouble, ebay is a good place to grab one at a reasonable price.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

elgoog

The entire post is missing. I can see the outline of the thicker part on the inside of the plate - it actually looks like it was ground off (??) I found a black right sideplate on EBay for $17 shipped. I'll have mismatched sideplates but I don't really care about that. Adds character to the reel :)

- elgoog

franky

Quote from: elgoog on January 18, 2013, 11:02:24 PM
I found a black right sideplate on EBay for $17 shipped. I'll have mismatched sideplates but I don't really care about that. Adds character to the reel :)

- elgoog

Awesome find elgoog. 

I don't know why I forgot to mention ebay as an alternative, especially when I go on there quite often.  :-\ 

Yeah, if you're not particular about the matching of colors on the sideplate, the 17.00 shipped item is a deal!  ;)