Help with a Penn Longbeach 66

Started by johnsnz, January 21, 2013, 04:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsnz

Hi,

I recently picked up a rod and reel from the local thrift store for the princely sum of NZ$8.00.

The reel is a Penn Long beach 66 and the rod is a NZ locally made Killwell Silver boat rod with nice Fuji guides. I've never worked on a fishing rod or reel before. But some what nervously I have stripped the rod down and have restored the rod and re wrapped the guides etc. I have also stripped down the reel and identified that it's missing a few vital bits like the spring for the dog and a couple of screws are also AWOL. I found the re assembly tutorials here and the schematics at Mysticparts really helpful.  I have order my missing parts from Mysticparts but was wondering if someone can advise me how to convert the original 3 washer drag system to a carbon fibre drag system. Is there a 3 washer carbon drag or do you need to upgrade to a 5 washer drag??

Any help much appreciated...
Thanks in advance

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Ron Jones

Welcome to Mr. Tani's wild ride Kiwi John!

You can replace your original washers with stock Penn HT-100 washers no problem, everyone on here will recommend a coat of Cal's drag grease. I really like your reel, assuming everything else is in good working order CF drags will get it where you need to be. If you are willing to splurge, one of Allen's SS gear sleeves would be nice as well.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

here is the schematic.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/68.pdf  i think your best option is a carbontex drag washer under the main gear, then five #6-60 drags insided the main gear, plus two more metal washers.  the other thing that REALLY helps this reel is a stainless steel gear sleeve and a larger handle grip like the penn jigmaster power handle.  let me know if you need help with any of these.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

oh, and keeping with the fact that the reel only cost $8, a carbontex drag washer under the main gear and a new set of drag washers is the place to start. 

RowdyW

Hi John, you can use 3 CF washers # 6-113 or you can use 5 # 6-60 CF, 1 # 7-60 earred, & 1 # 86-60 keyed washer. The 5 washer setup will give you a max. setup. Don't forget to use some Cal's drag grease on the washers for a smoother drag.   Rudy

johnsnz

Hi thanks for the answers..

From what I read if I increase the efficiency of the drag I should probably upgrade the gear sleeve to stainless steel as the brass is likely to round out with the improvement in the drag..

Can someone advise on the correct size / number of carbontex for the Longbeach 66..

Thanks for all the help so far....

alantani

a carbontex drag washer from the jigmaster set is the best one to go under the main gear.  they there are five #6-60 drag washers inside.  and lastly, there are the extra metal washers, one keyed and one slotted.