Please straighten me out with lube and grease..

Started by morrison.inc, January 22, 2013, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morrison.inc

That title just doesnt sound right lol! Hey fellas im new here. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but i have some questions i wondering if you could help with to get me on the same page as you guys. Ive read around the site and to be honest, im a little confused on which cleaners/grease/oil to use and which parts they are used on. Ive always been taught to grease the gears, oil the bearings, and never grease drag washers. After coming here, i see some controversy. From what ive learned so far, you should grease your carbonex drags with drag grease. Grease all non spool bearings, and dip other high speed bearings in tsi 301. CorrosionX for all other purposes. So thats where im at so far. Heres some questions.

Is it ok to use shimano star drag grease on spinining reel drags, or should i use cals?... Can hot sauce be used? Its teflon based right?

Is all Carbonex drag material all the same? Or is there a certain place that has the best quality..?

As far as cleaners, grease, and lube go..
Which should i use to clean bearings? White spirits, brake cleaner, acentone, mineral spirits, or carb cleaner? What are things i should NOT use?

Does the xtreme lubricants dry teflon lube need to be put on very frequently? I think i remember you said it was fast but it didnt last.. I forget what the conclusion was already..

Whats the difference between TSI 301 and 321?

Can i use the aerosol dusters or an empty art paint gun instead of air compressor to blow out excess 301? Or maybe even a hairdryer?

If price isnt a factor, whats the better general purpose LUBE..? CorrosionX, Inox, Hot sauce, Militec or Boeshield or other?

Should i use the aerosol lubricants, or the oil versions? Or is it just preference?

Again if price isnt a factor, whats the better GREASE..? CorrosionX, Inox, yamaha marine blue, Hot sauce, Boca Bearing, Militec or Permalube?

Can i use the same grease i use to coat my gears to pack the non high speed bearings or do i need a different grease for that?

I ice fish a lot, i was wondering what you guys recommend as far as which type of grease and oil i should use for that.

I already have ordered carbonex drags, but i am still debating on upgrading my bearings also. I hear ceramic or ceramic hybrid abec7 and abec9 are what you want. What is needed to maintain these? I always thought they were supposed to be used without lube, but i see some people like to dose them up. From those of you who have them... Is it worth the money? Is it really that big of a difference?

And last of all, this is for Alan. I read that you didnt like the Shimano Tekota reel handle and grip. Im in the same position and was wondering what you settled on... Thx!

Sorry for all the question but please help me caught up with you all. I appreciate it. Tight lines!

Cone

Welcome. A lot of this is personal preference. If a conventional reel is used for casting, many people remove the spool bearing shields and lube them. If you use the reel for trolling or bottom fishing, you can pack all the bearings. A bearing packed with grease will give the best protection from corrosion but it will affect casting distance.
    Shimano drag grease should work ok. I'll let someone else comment on the hot sauce. Carbon drag washers vary. Some of the Penn washers are a looser weave than others. Some Penn washers have a fiberglass core between carbon layers. The carbontex drag washers from smoothdrag are a tight weave and are stiffer and thinner. I'm sure there are others and all will vary according to how they are manufactured.
      People clean their bearings different ways. I use brake cleaner or carburater cleaner. Do whatever works for you. I haven't used the dry teflon lubes. The difference in TSI 301 and 321 is the 301 has a cleaner that evaporates leaving 321. The 301 may not be safe on some plastics. Alan just dunks the bearings and lets the excess run out into a rag, others blow out the excess. Do what blows your skirt up.
      The main thing with grease is use something. everyone has a preference. I don't fish in low temps. I believe the Cal's light is formulated for lower temps. I could be wrong.
      I usually use ABEC5 ss bearings. I don't cast in competitions. It may make a difference for you but I have not seen the need to pay the extra money for what I do. YMMV Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

RowdyW

Quote from: morrison.inc on January 22, 2013, 08:02:25 PM
That title just doesnt sound right lol! Hey fellas im new here. Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but i have some questions i wondering if you could help with to get me on the same page as you guys. Ive read around the site and to be honest, im a little confused on which cleaners/grease/oil to use and which parts they are used on. Ive always been taught to grease the gears, oil the bearings, and never grease drag washers. After coming here, i see some controversy. From what ive learned so far, you should grease your carbonex drags with drag grease. Grease all non spool bearings, and dip other high speed bearings in tsi 301. CorrosionX for all other purposes. So thats where im at so far. Heres some questions.

Is it ok to use shimano star drag grease on spinining reel drags, or should i use cals?... Can hot sauce be used? Its teflon based right
Is all Carbonex drag material all the same? Or is there a certain place that has the b    
Which should i use to clean bearings? White spirits, brake cleaner, acentone, mineral spirits, or carb cleaner? What are things i should NOT use?

Does the xtreme lubricants dry teflon lube need to be put on very frequently? I think i remember you said it was fast but it didnt last.. I forget what the conclusion was already..

Whats the difference between TSI 301 and 321?

Can i use the aerosol dusters or an empty art paint gun instead of air compressor to blow out excess 301? Or maybe even a hairdryer?

If price isnt a factor, whats the better general purpose LUBE..? CorrosionX, Inox, Hot sauce, Militec or Boeshield or other?

Should i use the aerosol lubricants, or the oil versions? Or is it just preference?

Again if price isnt a factor, whats the better GREASE..? CorrosionX, Inox, yamaha marine blue, Hot sauce, Boca Bearing, Militec or Permalube?

Can i use the same grease i use to coat my gears to pack the non high speed bearings or do i need a different grease for that?

I ice fish a lot, i was wondering what you guys recommend as far as which type of grease and oil i should use for that.

I already have ordered carbonex drags, but i am still debating on upgrading my bearings also. I hear ceramic or ceramic hybrid abec7 and abec9 are what you want. What is needed to maintain these? I always thought they were supposed to be used without lube, but i see some people like to dose them up. From those of you who have them... Is it worth the money? Is it really that big of a difference?

And last of all, this is for Alan. I read that you didnt like the Shimano Tekota reel handle and grip. Im in the same position and was wondering what you settled on... Thx!

Sorry for all the question but please help me caught up with you all. I appreciate it. Tight lines!

Hi, use drag grease on carbon fiber drags, carb cleaner will work fine for cleaning bearings, Carbonex is a brand name sold by Smooth Drag [its CF], dry teflon not needed, TSI 301 contains solvent YSI 321 does not [solvent might harm some plastics]. dip bearings & let dry on a paper towel, Yamaha Marine blue will work on everything in your reel. If you are not casting you can use the Yamaha grease in the bearings also, for ice fishing use the thinner Cal's Purple drag grease on the drag washers, I think your standard bearings will be fine for ice fishing, ceramics I think are a little overated. I guess the last question can be better answered by Alan.          Rudy

Keta

Is it ok to use shimano star drag grease on spinining reel drags, or should i use cals?... Can hot sauce be used? Its teflon based right?
Shimano or Cal's they both are good, I wouldn't use the hot sauce.

Is all Carbonex drag material all the same?

Minor differances in weve but Dartanium II, HT-100 and Carbontex are woven carbon fiber.

CorrosionX, Inox, Hot sauce, Militec or Boeshield or other?

I use Corrosion X and Miltec-1

Should i use the aerosol lubricants, or the oil versions?
I try to avoid aerosols

Again if price isnt a factor, whats the better GREASE..?
Yamaha marine greese and Miltec-1

Can i use the same grease i use to coat my gears to pack the non high speed bearings
Yes

Corosion X or Miltec-1 for all bearings. Cal's lite or dry drags, depending on temp.

.. i am still debating on upgrading my bearings also.

For the majority of our needs the factory bearings work well.

Sorry for all the question but please help me caught up with you all.
That's what we are here for ;D

I appreciate it.
Thank you.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

got a bunch of kolekar handles.  they're ugly, but tough as nails.  for the rest, it's just cal's grease, yamaha marine grease, corrosion x and tsi 301. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

morrison.inc

Is there a place online that i can buy all of the above mentioned? I dont feel like its that easy...

RowdyW

Yamaha marine blue grease--boats.net  $7.47 inc s+h     TSI 301 + 321--American Gas & Chemical Co.  Northvale N.J. 1-201-767-7300 .  Cal's Grease--Smoothdrags  Kolekar handles & Corrosion X from A.T.     Rudy