hello

Started by lois, December 05, 2009, 03:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lois

hi Alan, been reading this site off and on for a few months and decided to join. i have an exploded Newell S550 that i want ot try and salvage but can't seem to find a site (tried some of the links) that has a schematic. anyway, i'm going to try and tinker with it overnight but i'll check back on Sunday to see if anyone has any help or advice...thanks.

aloha

Lois

lois

oh and i been servicing Penn 130s and other reels at work and on my own, so i'm not a 100% newbie...but sort of a newbie. so please be patient with me. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lois

thanks! i'll start tinkering around with it today.

alantani

if you can send me a pm with a fax #, i might be able to fax them to you when i get to the office this weekend.  alan

lois

sorry i never got back quicker...i had to find this thread! ;D

i will send you a PM with a fax number...thanks Alan.

conchydong

I had the same problem for my 533. I called Norma and she e-mailed me the schematics. This was a while back before the company changed hands but I am sure they will still accomodate you. Unfortunately I deleted them or I would forward them to you.
Anyway give Norma a call. I am sure somebody has their new telephone number.

lois

Quote from: conchydong on May 20, 2010, 01:30:36 PM
I had the same problem for my 533. I called Norma and she e-mailed me the schematics. This was a while back before the company changed hands but I am sure they will still accomodate you. Unfortunately I deleted them or I would forward them to you.
Anyway give Norma a call. I am sure somebody has their new telephone number.
thanks for your help, i got the fax from Alan.

thanks Alan! i really appreciate it. ;)

lois

hi Alan! i'm working on a Shimano TLD50 LRSA that just came in for servicing. opened it up, nothing seemed amiss, cleaned, lightly oiled and rebuilt. when the lever drag is tightened, the handle becomes very hard to turn. i took it all apart again and rechecked the bellevue washers against the schematic from Shimano. there were 8 washers as opposed to the 6 pictured in the schematic. i removed the two and replaced them EXACTLY how it was in the schematic but the handle still feels a bit tight. i R&Red it again and played with the positions of the 6 bellevue washers and it got a little better but not as "loose" feeling as a new reel. none of the shafts look bent (main shaft or drive shaft).

Kamu looked at the reel too and he knows about this issue.

any other ideas of what to look at? or have you heard of any recurring problems with this particular reel?

thanks in advance! ;)

alantani

how is the right main side plate bearing?

lois

it doesn't feel bad...like any corrosion in it. visually, it looks okay too.

akfish

Have you looked at the bearing on the left side of the spool? Sometimes that one will go bad and cause the reel to act like yours. But it really sounds like the pinion bearing in the right sideplate. To check that bearing, take it out and push hard with your finger while turning and see if there is any resistance or a gritty feeling when it turns. If there is any at all, it needs to be replaced.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

lois

this is the only way i checked it...by applying fingertip pressure and trying to rotate. i didn't feel any roughness or grittiness in it. i will take it apart and recheck it, i think i have a spare TLD50 lying around too.. maybe i can try swap bearings and see.

lois

by the way thanks for the help and the quick replies. i really appreciate it. :D