Penn GLD 30 Tutorial Help!

Started by AlohaDan, December 06, 2009, 02:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlohaDan

Alan  Re:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=268.0

Waded my way through it with a real ~1.8 years old. (Did not install the spacers for functional bearing sleeve pending parts arrival)

Some difficulties, but when reasembled get a "no drag" problem. No matter how I adjust the preset key knob (#144.)

I lost one dog spring, but that shouldn't make a difference should it?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Aloha

Dan

AlohaDan

Well went back and checked my work. :P

Turned out the late night bifoculs  re-installed the gear stud retaining ring incorrectly and the main gear was slipping on the stud! Terrible.  ::) Re-installed correctly.

Built a new dog spring using 80#test single strand stainless. Was lucky. ;D Found the old one before I had to try this new concoction.

For retaining ring removal used a jig with embedded hook, The jig provides a nice handhold.

To remove the small bearing shield I used an earth magnet.

BTW when removing the small bearing retaining ring (I had to use a very small sharp hook), older eyes are advised to mark the side the ring was removed from ASAP. Other wise you risk getting sides confused trying to remove it again, or attempting to remove the shield from the side that still has a retaining ring

See Alan's tread on bearings:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

elswhere on th net I found this comment on Avet reels:

"the problem that plagues most lever drags is salt depositing onto the drag washer and under it..
which can corrode the spool"

This is what happened to me it turns out. also resulted in damage to the metal drag washer plate. And I try to flush with fresh water (drag on) after every use.

The threads on the spool are damaged for the drag washer holder . I'll try to use it again, but a new spool may turn $25 of repair parts into $75.

Anyway mahalo nui loa to Alan . Without this tutorial I would be up a creek without a... reel.

I'll be testing it tommorow using a spring scale and if it's OK like I think it is, hope to be able to fish a bit pending parts arrival.

aloha

Dan

alantani

dan, that was alot of work.  we need to get you a camera!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

realmedic

i concur as many of us can learn from what you do. i have been finding simularities in salt water vrs freshwater reels as i mainly do freshwater at this time. but as alan says sooner or later someone will most likely send me a salt water reel. so i might as well learn all i can.  ;)

AlohaDan

Thanks for the comments.

OK I'll try to get some photos after parts arrive. Probably be in January.

Alan I note your rebuild of the Penn50 VSX you left off the bearing shields for the spool shaft bearings. I suspect this was to facilitate future regreasing downsteam with Extreme X.

I'm willing to try this on the GLD 30 if you think I can regrease them with X in the future without the pain of removing them again.
What do you think?

alantani

dan, i just finished a two speed gld belonging to a local charter boat captain.  what a mess!!!!!!  the threads on the spool were all corroded, just like yours.  i took a metal pick and cleaned out all of the corrosion.  took about an hour.  dug in quite a ways before i "found" the threads again.  the spool cap holds, so i'm good.  in a situation where the threads are totally shot, just clean out the corrosion and toss the cap.  you can install the drag washer with a bunch of cal's grease gooped in behind the drag washer.  the grease will act like a glue, holding the drag washer in place.  you have just turned your penn gld 30 into an avet!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like you need a pair of snap ring pliers.  they work great!

[img]http://alantani.com/gallery/1/1_10_12_09_3_27_20.jpeg[/ialanmg]

for spool bearings, i open them up and leave them open.  for side plate bearings, i like to leave the shields on.  note that some side plate bearings have a metal shield that is pressed in.  the shield is damaged beyond use if you remove it.  what i have been doing lately is to remove one side and press grease in with just the palm of my hand.  remember how to pack wheel axle bearings?  same thing. 

realmedic

Quote from: alantani on December 10, 2009, 10:31:33 PM
dan, i just finished a two speed gld belonging to a local charter boat captain.  what a mess!!!!!!  the threads on the spool were all corroded, just like yours.  i took a metal pick and cleaned out all of the corrosion.  took about an hour.  dug in quite a ways before i "found" the threads again.  the spool cap holds, so i'm good.  in a situation where the threads are totally shot, just clean out the corrosion and toss the cap.  you can install the drag washer with a bunch of cal's grease gooped in behind the drag washer.  the grease will act like a glue, holding the drag washer in place.  you have just turned your penn gld 30 into an avet!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like you need a pair of snap ring pliers.  they work great!

for spool bearings, i open them up and leave them open.  for side plate bearings, i like to leave the shields on.  note that some side plate bearings have a metal shield that is pressed in.  the shield is damaged beyond use if you remove it.  what i have been doing lately is to remove one side and press grease in with just the palm of my hand.  remember how to pack wheel axle bearings?  same thing. 

AlohaDan

Mahalo Alan. That will definitely save me some bucks by not ordering a new spool.! ;D

I'll look for those pliers.

realmedic

for packing bearings i use a product callled the greaser which i purchased from an rc helicopter store. it makes quick work of packing any bearings.

alantani

i've been looking forever for a mini bearing packer.  do you have a link?  alan

AlohaDan

Are those snap ring pliers "Channel Lock" brand. External fixed maybe .038?

alantani

i've got the el cheapo brand from kragen auto.  don't spend alot of money.  alan