Torium 14 improvement

Started by JasonF, January 24, 2013, 06:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

I love using small reels on big fish but have stayed clear of Torium 14's simply for the fact that they have an advertised max drag of 13 pounds.  A far cry from that of my Talica's.  So I never bought one.....until I found two new on Craigslist for $90 a piece.  Could not pass them up.

Two simple questions.  What can be done to improve these reel's performance (other than greased carbontex washers)?  Does anyone know of service instructions for this reel, or will the thread for Torium 16/20/30 work?

These reels will go on a couple of Ugly Stick jigging rods and will be buddy outfits (I get the good stuff!) for jigging for snapper.  I will need 10 pounds of drag.

Cheers and thanks y'all!  J

Bryan Young

that's a great deal Jason.

You can use the Torium 16/20/30 as a guide.  One major difference is that there is not upgrade of the dog from silent to spring loaded.  Other than the common drag washers and bearings, there is really nothing more that needs to be done to this reel.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonF

Great, Thanks.  I figured there wasnt, but just wanted to make sure.  I will order the washers and get to it!

JasonF

In re-reading your answer Bryan I noticed that you said bearings and drag.  What specifically can be done with the bearings and could someone be kind enough to copy a link to the exact parts?

Also I dug up one Torium 30 that I want to upgrade also.  What can be done with it?

To be honest I am just looking for an excuse to take these apart.  So much fun!

J

Bryan Young

Bearings - Open, cleaned, and lubed with a thin lubricant for better castability.

Torium 30 - Drags, spring loaded dogs (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=509.0), and bearings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

Yesterday some large Yellowfin Tuna finished of the Anti-Reverse pawl on my Torium TN30, nearly costing my my fingers and a burned thumb trying brake the beast that way.   Had to replace and toss two reels back in my bag after that, but fun it was.

Ordered the Trinidad DC part #s 1304 spring, and 1303 pawl and trust completely that it will fix my problem without touching the ARB etc.

Thanks to those who did the research for this upgrade.
Cornelis

spc7669

You'll love that upgrade. Add some carbon fiber washers and those reels will hum.