Chinese 309M

Started by basto, January 24, 2013, 10:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

The more I read about this reel, the more I like it. OK, it has a very low gear ratio(2.8:1) for a single speed reel, but  that combined with it`s tall spool give it a max drag of 15 pounds.
The 112h has exactly the same drag, but only gets a max of 11 pounds according to Penn`s website.

Shimano`s TLD 20/40 gets 13.2 pounds according to Shimano`s site.

I have overlooked the 309M for a long time and the Chinese have actually made a couple of imrovements to this reel and it can be improved further with a stainless gear sleeve.
Very good value for $75.00AUD
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

akfish

I see lots and lots of 309s in the shop. And, yes, the Chinese version does offer some improvements to the earlier models. However, note that it has, essentially no frame at all. What this means is that with any significant drag at all, the "frame" will torque and cause serious problems: The gears will likely shred, and you'll likely ruin the level wind. These are good light line reels, but nothing more.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tile

That's the main problem of multi piece framed reels. Someone should start making aluminum half frames for the Levelwind series.
In solid fiberglass we trust

basto

Hi Akfish
Thanks for your comments. I intend on using the reel without the levelwind. Never did like levelwinds on anything bigger than a 5000 size baitcaster.
I am aware of the frames limitations. Even so, it should be a fun bit of gear for inshore work.
I`ll be gentle.....promise!
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Tile on January 24, 2013, 01:58:19 PM
That's the main problem of multi piece framed reels. Someone should start making aluminum half frames for the Levelwind series.
Lol i started a thread on BD to try and get some for senators
Grayson Lanier

Tile

The guys at Tiburon Engineering make aluminum one piece frames for the Senators. They should start making them for the Levelwind series

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Tile on January 25, 2013, 12:33:48 PM
The guys at Tiburon Engineering make aluminum one piece frames for the Senators. They should start making them for the Levelwind series
Do they make them for the 9/0 and ups?
Grayson Lanier

Tile