Why Yamaha Grease?

Started by Kayaker, January 28, 2013, 12:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayaker

I searched the "Yamaha Marine Grease" thread, and it appears to be about how to purchase it, or load it into the gun. 

Why do you guys prefer this grease over all other marine grease? 

I used Blue Lucas oil marine grease, and it seemed fine, but if I am missing out on something, then I will get the Yamaha marine grease. 

I am ordering a grease gun with the nozzle forward, and saw these from HF. Anyone use these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/marine-boat-trailer-and-4x4-wheel-bearing-grease-97844.html

Thanks!

Jimmer

I think that sta-lube is the light blue opaque stuff. You can find better grease for the same money. This has been discussed at great length here in the past if you look back aways in the "tools and lubricants" section.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

pretty much anything your want to use is fine.  one of the nice things about the yamaha product is that it stays blue forever.  i can crack open a reel years from now and still tell that it's been serviced. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

aus bass

Comes down to personal preference and generally what Marine lube guys have lying around. I personally have Inox MX8 Bearing Grease (red in colour), mainly because i have some left over and i find it excellent to use. Much like Alan says any reels i crack open and find red grease in i know i've probably serviced it before.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Kayaker

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated, FWIW, I really like the lucas oil Marine grease, but it only comes in a big tube from HD.

JasonF

It is funny reading about how hard this stuff is to find.  I drove to an engine shop around the corner and paid $3.75 for it!