Cleaning/Polishing chrome parts

Started by xr616, January 29, 2013, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xr616

Been reading the form for some time, thought I would share.

Just finished cleaning up My Penn 80 STW's Had a little corrosion on the chrome parts.
I used a 6" buffing wheel on a bench grinder with white polishing compound or jewelers rough.

Everything buffed off surprisingly well. Took only seconds.  Held some of the smaller parts in vice grips.
Cleaned the screws with dremel brass brush, did really nice job.

This is a large reel so it was easy to hold the parts against the wheel. I tried the Dremel buffer wheel
it did not work as well.

Rob

Dominick

Hi Rob:  Good job.  Every once in a while I take out the brown tripoli and polish the brass parts.  They shine like chrome (I'm not talking about a Penn 80 you realize).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

been thinking of that.  when i get the garage cleaned out ..... ( hey, i hear you guys laughing, knock it off!!!   ;D)  i'm going to set up a bench with a winding station and another bench with a drill press, a lathe for bearing sleeves, and a grinder with stone, a wire wheel and buffing wheels. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on January 30, 2013, 01:53:21 AM
been thinking of that.  when i get the garage cleaned out ..... ( hey, i hear you guys laughing, knock it off!!!   ;D)  i'm going to set up a bench with a winding station and another bench with a drill press, a lathe for bearing sleeves, and a grinder with stone, a wire wheel and buffing wheels. 

;D ;D ;D ;D I couldn't help myself. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Joel.B

Alan I am only a few hours drive from you, I will gladly come and clean out your garage for you

free of charge of course

I can only imagine the treasure buried in there ........

alantani

all of you guys are welcomed anytime.  i keep the frig stocked with beer and it is always super cold.  it's great during the summer!  rob, if you get a chance, post some photos.  i would love to see the final results! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

xr616

Next time I will do a before and after photo shoot, added a bronze wire wheel to my grinder makes for quick work cleaning screws and crank/drag housing. Dremel does not polish nearly as good as bench grinder, I tried it and was not happy with results. It leaved swirl marks and uneven polish.