New SXJ

Started by Tim McNeely, January 29, 2013, 04:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim McNeely

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tim McNeely

They finally shrunk it down to match the drag it can make   ;D

jonathan.han

I guess what's more important is the application of the reel and etc. For the price point, it's a decent reel. Would I buy it? No. Countless hours of changing all the bearings in Avets has made me shy away from the SX-MXLs. They are still a decent reel.

I still have one SX that I keep just to piss off people. It has probably caught dozens of tuna, more 50lb seabass than most have in their lives, halibut, and salmon. But, just like the antiquated Accurates and their pre-2000s design, the Avet design is old hat. It's about time that the other reel manufacturers introduce a reel like the Makairas. I fish a lot of commercial rod and reel along with reels and crabbing supplementing my income. That SX (in purple!) has paid for itself well over 20-30 fold. I think for a sub 200.00 reel that can catch most nearshore species, it gets brought up in discussion. It used to be the TLD5s and 10s were the go-to. But, with their discontinuance, what Lever drag reel is there at that price?
raw instinct

alantani

here is a copy of the post.  it's great!

Quote from: finadict;2978316The prototype is done...wow what a great little reel! Its the SXJ, narrow version of the SX. It will be available with all of the same options as the SX..5.3 single speed, 6/4 2-speed, with or without M.C.  Ill follow up later with line specs, price etc.
Some pics....

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tim McNeely

I will freely admit to being a newb when it comes to lever drags, but I do know that these things are notoriously bad on bearings. If one were to set the drag at strike to, say, 7 or 8 pounds (for 30#), then push the lever on up to 10# plus for the end game, would that crunch the bearing? Or do you have to set the drag at strike high enough to effect freespool in order to mess things up?

wallacewt

looks a little beauty,except for the ugly black handle.cmon avet get with it.

Brendan

Bought one as a gift for a friend. I think it will work great for a Calico rod. I will follow up after it gets run through its paces.
Tight Lines, Brendan.

ossipeter

I have not found calico rod. Can you tell me more?

Brendan

Inshore Bass rod.

Bryan Young

If Avet lives up to their tradition, free spool will be AWESOME!  Those reels have some of the best free spools out there.

And Jonathan's purple reel is "PINK" due to the fading.  He loves the attention that he gets for having a PINK reel, for sure.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rx7240sx

9 pounds at strike 14 at full

johndtuttle

These are sweet little tanks. Simple design that will last a lifetime as long as you don't mash their bearings thinking you are fighting Marlin  ;D.

jonathan.han

The purple anodization will fade on avets.  >:( I have found that I tend to neglect my reels more than people who send me reels. Progear purple is still purple. Was looking to custom anodize a reel for a rod I had Jon (TwistedCustomRods) build for me...just need to pick a worthy underdog reel. Avet purple becomes Avet Pink. The Pink becomes a silver eventually...so I hear.
raw instinct

Zinox

I just HAVE to buy one, when the left raptor version hits the marked ;D