30TW bad drag range? Need help

Started by ReelTight32, January 29, 2013, 08:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelTight32

I have a 30 TW that I just bought used and it freespools great but does not really engage drag until just shy of the strike position and it is very "touchy". drag is smooth at about 15-18lbs but literally only about 3/4" movement in the range to engage and get to 15lbs.
Is there something I can do or change to improve this?

Jimmer

Did you open it up and take a peek at the belleville washer set up, etc.?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Robert Janssen

I venture a lot more than a guess, that someone was there before you, "serviced" the reel and installed the belleville spring washers in the wrong order.

Reinstall them in ()() order, and you'll likely see things return to normal shortly.

ReelTight32

they are in the correct alignment ()(). Reel came with 130lb backing so figuring they may have tried to overload it, could that have caused an issue?

alantani

here is the schematic.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/30tw.pdf

if possible, can you take a photo of the eccentric cam (key #19).  it is the shape of the cam that determines how much pressure is put on the drag washers.  it is rare to have problems with these, but it might be badly worn.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com" 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

not sure but looks like the washers all face one way )))) on the schematic, although i dont remember they being that way. that will make it stronger but also more drastic.