Stainless Gears in 49 Super Mariner?

Started by Joel.B, January 31, 2013, 06:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I've got these two older 49s apart and the main gears appear to be stainless? Or maybe plated in something shiny? I googled-searched it as best I could and found nothing on the matter.........

These reels look like they are screaming for a "double-dog" set-up, anyone done one of these yet?

akfish

The earliest 49s did have steel main gears. If yours are in good shape, you've got something wort keeping, although the newer gears are a bit smoother.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

George4741

Quote from: akfish on January 31, 2013, 09:01:21 PM

The earliest 49s did have steel main gears. If yours are in good shape, you've got something wort keeping,

Does that mean you recommend Joel DOESN'T double dog his reels?
viurem lliures o morirem

Joel.B

These both have broken plates on right side, one missing a chunk around the oil-port, the other just has spider-cracks in same spot. I was thinking of just parting them out, I won't use them and I need the moneys. I wonder if these stainless gears fetch a premium like some others do?  I have scoured the web and not seen anymore like them.

Do these metal spools fit any of the other reels? 149 etc?

alantani

these old main gears are plain steel.  they are much harder than the maganese bronze alloy used commonly now, but they will rust.  if they are in good shape, you scored!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Joel,

If you want to save one of your reels instead of parting it out I have a 49 right side plate (handle side) you can have. It is dirty but seem to be in very good condition.  Let me know.

John

PS. just noticed a small chip but it will be covered by the ring.

Joel.B

ALan- I have some 113h gears that are plain steel, just look like plain steel, no shine

These two sets of gears from these 49s are as shiny as a set of stainless Newell 113h gears, maybe shinier. I am going to post a pic in a bit.

John- I very much appreciate the offer but I am in no position to be hoarding reels, I am trying to sell off anything I dont absolutely need to take care of some new debt I just developed- I would never use one of these 49s and I am hoping these gears are one-of-a-kind NASA prototypes and worth a bajillion dollars on Ebay.....*ps your reel will be in the mail tomorrow, will get you tracking numbers as soon as I get home from PO*

Joel.B

Bryan Young

Wow, that gear is in really good shape.  That's a rare find.  Not sure about it being stainless, but I have seen some new steel gears from Penn's new-old stock that someone had and it looked the same.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

wow!  :o :o :o :o

a stainless steel gear sleeve would go great right in here!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Quote from: Joel.B on February 01, 2013, 05:30:53 PM

Do these metal spools fit any of the other reels? 149 etc?

Yes, they also fit the 149.
viurem lliures o morirem

Joel.B

SO does anybody think I hit the rare-gears-lottery and can sell these for a small fortune?

Alto Mare

No! :(
Those are not that rare, the darker gears are also steel, if I remember right they have a protective coat.
49's are nice reels, to bad they don't hold much value. If the reel is in excellent shape, you could probably get $60, if in good shape, you'll get close to its name ($49). I've seen some go for as little as $25 :-\ .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

Thanks Sal, I looked all over and saw the plain-looking steel gears, nothing shiny like these so I thought maybe I had something rare....oh well. I know these reels dont get much $$$- I am going to part these out on EBay and see what I can get - ive already got bids on the shiny parts-kit, i'll list the guts as one kit and see what happens.

RARE TITANIUM GEARS FROM PROTOTYPE PENN 49 UBER-MASTER MARINER..........

Alto Mare

The parts look nice, you shouldn't have any problems selling them. Also, good idea breaking it down, you should get double than if it was sold as a complete reel. Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.