Penn 113 HLW 4:1 Gear and Pinion Problems

Started by franky, February 01, 2013, 07:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

I changed out the standard gear and pinion of a penn 4/0 and replaced it with a 4:1 stainless gear set.

When all was done, I put the reel into freespool and everything is fine if I tilt the reel with the clicker sideplate facing down.  However, if I tilt the reel so that the handle sideplate if facing down, the spool seems to be causing a grinding with something in the handle sideplate.

I even tried to replace the yoke with a ss yoke and the same problem exist.  ???

Whats going on?  How do I adjust this?

If I put the regular gear and pinion back, the reel is just fine... :-\   

franky

Okay,

I just finished 5 reels to the 4:1 gear set.  2 of the 5 were having issues with the grinding sound.  I figured it out.  It was the bearing cap on the handle side.  Some how I think the plastic surrounding the outside diameter of the bearing cap got erroded or worn down thus making the bearing cap stick out a little more than it supposed to causing the spool to shift a little more to the right than needed.  

When I tilted the reel with the handle side down thus causing the grinding, I would then press my finger on the bearing cap and problem solved.

Now, I think the solution is to remove the bearing and put in a thin shim inside of the cap then put the bearing back.  The problem now is removing the stubborn bearing.  This is the cap that does not stay with the sideplate to give you added leverage to pull on.  I got to find me some of those empty bearing caps that Sal has.

Does anyone know if MysticParts.com will sell empty bearing caps?  Specifically, the handle side bearing cap.   :-\

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

Hello Franky, yes pennparts does have the caps, unfortunately those are for the larger reels. Your cap is very hard to find.
I did notice a seller on ebay taking 4/0's apart and sell the parts lose, I usually don't buy used bearings, but this might be your only choice.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

franky

Thanks Sal.   :)

Are you working on reels at this time of the night?  :o

Keta

Can you shim the shaft on the outside without removing the bearing from the cap?

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 01, 2013, 10:02:11 AM

I did notice a seller on ebay taking 4/0's apart and sell the parts lose....

Be careful with that guy, he is clueless and will argue with you if he sends the wrong part.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

it sounds like the shoulders of the spool shaft are banging up against the pinion gear.  if that is the case, then you might have to shim the spool over a little to the left.  alternatively, you could bend up the tabs of the eccentric jack a little so that the yoke is lifted up a little more.  this will move the yoke and the pinion gear farther to the right and away from the shoulders of the spool shaft.  does this make sense?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

franky

Quote from: alantani on February 01, 2013, 05:38:37 PM
it sounds like the shoulders of the spool shaft are banging up against the pinion gear.  if that is the case, then you might have to shim the spool over a little to the left.  alternatively, you could bend up the tabs of the eccentric jack a little so that the yoke is lifted up a little more.  this will move the yoke and the pinion gear farther to the right and away from the shoulders of the spool shaft.  does this make sense?   :-\

Yes, thank you Alan.  I do see what you are saying.  I gotta take another look.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe the eccentric jack has the triangular shaped tabs as opposed to the singular tabs.  But yes, it probably is the shoulders of the spool shaft that is banging on the edge of the pinion gear.