Titus TG15 II and Titus TG 50 W II

Started by CTFISH, February 02, 2013, 02:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTFISH

New to this site and had a couple of questions. In 2006 I bought 4 of the TG 15's II and 6 of the TG 50 M II. I have have used them lightly and this winter decided to conduct maintenance on them. That is when I found this site which is great.

It looks like the early Titus 15 have had problems. What years did you consider early? Is the same true for the 50's? Aside from the corrosion issue what should I look for?
I will call Okuma about drag washer up grades. One more rookie question. I have some blue marine spline grease left over and wondered if I could use that inside the reel on everything but the drag washers?

Whatever you can offer would be appreciated as I read the rest of the posts in this area.

alantani

any grease is fine.  some of the spline greases can be a little tacky, but that's ok.  use an old toothbrush and spread a light coat throughout the reel.  make sure you have no dry spots, because water will surely find them.  all of the old okuma reels were put together poorly.  it was not until several years ago with the makaira series that the american division of okuma took the lead and turned this company around. 

check your drag washers to see if they are made of carbon fiber.  some of them had canvas that had been dyed black.  take a cigarette lighter and hold it to the edge of the drag washer.  if it burns, it is canvas.  call okuma and see if they have carbon fiber replacements.  if it does not burn, it is carbon fiber.  clean of the crud, slap a thick coat of cal's grease on it, work it in, get the edges good, rub off all the excess with a clean rag and you should be good to go. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CTFISH

Thank you very much for the information I did 4 of the 15's today. 50's tomorrow.