How to: Add an Antireverse Bearing to your Boss Fury

Started by johndtuttle, February 03, 2013, 01:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Hey there Boyos,

Been playing with my Boss Fury and in recent threads there has been some talk about supplementing it's simple 2-dog system with an antireverse bearing like other Accurate models. Accurate kind of pioneered the use of ARB's only in their reels but ran into some complaints from those that ran into trouble using them as they all can fail eventually. Unfortunately Accurate's reels had no backup dogs to prevent them from going "knuckle buster" if they did fail and this caused some, shall we say, negative feedback. After many years of requests Accurate now produces either a simple dogged and single lever drag reel like the Boss Fury or a "synced" triple dog and dual drag reel like the Dawg Pound series.

Accurate will press in an AR Bearing in the DP series by request but has no plans to offer that option in the Boss Fury.

So we will just have to do it ourselves :D.

Alan did a previous post that serves as our inspiration:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5497.0

Here is the simple Teflon Bushing that Accurate shims their Drive Shaft in the Boss Fury:

Took some quick measurements:

Turns out Accurate is using essentially the same Side Plate and Drive Shaft as their other Boss Series reels with the same tolerances so all we have to do is press in the same or similar size parts.

Hmm, this is a likely candidate a 14 x 20 x 26mm AR bearing from Boca. It can be found here:

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/One-Way-Bearings/485/14x20x26-HFL1426

It's about ~1MM longer than the Teflon Bushing but should work just fine.

Before we press it in we want to double check it gets put in proper orientation. We want the direction the handle turns to be identical to the arrow (when looking at the handle we reel forward *clockwise*, so the bearing should have the same orientation). Here it appears *counter clockwise* because we are looking at the opposite or gear side (the back of the clock rather than the front),

Then we need a vise or press to place it. You cannot use a hammer or you will risk damaging either the reel or the bearing. I wasn't prepared to drop the money for a big vise so created my own bearing press. Cost about $4.

What you do is place one of the washers with it's nut underneath to support the Side Plate:

Then simply tighten down the other side to slowly press the bearing into position:

When it is flush:

You have this much space on the other side:

I'll reserve that space for one of Accurate's bushings that is on the way. In the photo above you see some Corrosion-X I sprayed inside before inserting the Drive Shaft. Accurate recommends it for lube and protection inside this type of barrel clutch.

The top then looks like this:

Ready to put the handle back on:

And there we have it: An Instant Anti-reverse Boss Fury for your fishing pleasure with double stainless dog back up. Should be an extremely reliable system and provide the ideal "feel" for vertical jigging or other artificial lure fishing:

Total cost is about $30-35 depending on what bearing you choose to add and what bushings you need to get from Accurate. Hope to see others doing the same soon :).

best regards

alantani

nice work!  you've got those guys on 360tuna very impressed, and rightfully so. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Great work John. I love your vise. Looks much simpler than actually using a vise. Will need to try this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

you have put accurate to shame john, now if they change there minds they have to do it on the cheap. because we all know.top stuff.

mitchman

Great job John, I'm glad it worked out! When are you goina get that girl wet?

johndtuttle

Thx for all the nice comments guys.  ;D

What's handy about it is the threaded rod keeps it all together instead of having to juggle multiple components when getting things lined up.

Of course, you have to go to the socket method (using a long little one that fits just inside the receptacle to press the bearing deep through the sleeve) if you use a shorter bearing and need to get it in farther as the washer get's in the way if you need to go past "flush"...or if you need to get the bearing out then you need a long large socket on the other side to create a space for the bearing to get pushed into...:D. This rod may be 1" too short if I need to remove such a long bearing, but they only cost $1.50 so I will cross that bridge when I get there.

In this case the washers don't get in the way as the bearing is over size from the stock one Accurate uses and you just press it flush.

I originally planned to use the socket method but the socket I bought had too small a drive ( I wasn't paying attention and got a 1/4" drive 14mm socket) and it wouldn't fit my threaded rod (3/8")  :(...I had to improvise on the spot but fortunately I was spared a return trip to the hardware store as flush is adequate for our purposes.

best regards

johndtuttle

Quote from: wallacewt on February 03, 2013, 11:10:32 AM
you have put accurate to shame john, now if they change there minds they have to do it on the cheap. because we all know.top stuff.

Oh, not at all. I think Accurate has done us a great favor by making the reel side plate essentially identical to their others so we can so easily upgrade it. None of this would work if the tolerance of the housing was not perfect for accepting an available AR Bearing. This is not like the housing for a regular bearing. It has to be perfect to allow it to be pressed in and then "grip" it just the right amount as it is not "hexagonally" fixed.

Now, if we can just get Accurate to use the triple "synced" dogs of the DP series in the Boss Fury we:

1. Might not even feel the need for this ARB upgrade as handle back play would be greatly reduced.

2. We would have a real game changer for the money.

best

ps. Might have to launch some investigations of Avets to see if we can jury rig something  :D.

hafnor

couldn't you shrink the AR by freezing it down and heating the reels house? I think it may slide in pretty easily!

wallacewt

it doesnt really matter if accurate had us in mind or not about an upgrade.your method is very good and cheap.cheers john.

johndtuttle

Quote from: hafnor on February 03, 2013, 09:41:41 PM
couldn't you shrink the AR by freezing it down and heating the reels house? I think it may slide in pretty easily!

Well, that procedure never occurred to me  :D. I suppose someone could try it. Hard to know how much it would shrink etc. and it is nice to have complete control of it's location that using the right tools will give you.

I would have some kind of backup way to press them in before I attempted this route. Otherwise you might end up with the ARB halfway down and an unfishable reel until you acquire them.

FiReWoLf

Great Job.

Just want to ask in this forum.  What is the different between dwag and fury?  The more I ask the more I m confused  ???

johndtuttle

Quote from: FiReWoLf on February 04, 2013, 05:44:16 AM
Great Job.

Just want to ask in this forum.  What is the different between dwag and fury?  The more I ask the more I m confused  ???

The Dawg Pound 2 speed series is a dual drag reel that uses 3 mechanical dogs that are synced to have only one at a time provide the antireverse. This leads to minimal back play. AR bearings are added as an option by Accurate.

Basically they are a BX2 with Dogs.

The Boss Fury has a simpler 2 dog system and only one drag similar to other lever drag reels from other manf. As well, it has a simpler finish to save cost to the buyer.

Accurate has said they would not offer installation of an AR Bearing in the Boss Fury series, hence, the time taken to make this thread :).

hafnor

johndtuttle

Quote from: hafnor on February 04, 2013, 06:22:41 PM
is that ar 25mm long?  :o three AR in one?

Technically they spec it as "26mm" and I may have failed to calibrate my caliper before taking photographs.

To be honest, I am not certain as to the function of the smaller elements in the bearing. They may be simply "needle bearings" intended to support the central element as AR bearings last and function best when they are well supported on their ends. This prevents the flex of the shaft from bending the springs that are required for consistent performance (as I understand it).

For those that want to remove any uncertainty, as above, Boca has 16mm AR bearings that are identical in spec to those used by Accurate in their other models or Accurate confirmed they will sell your their stock AR bearings to use. If you get the same "stack" of bushings and AR bearings from Accurate you can effectively replicate precisely what they are doing in their other reels.

I chose this one because Alan had it on hand from his previous post and it seemed a nice way to build off of what he inspired.

best

Robert Janssen

Quoteauthor=johndtuttle link=topic=6350.msg53863#msg53863 date=1360004417

...function of the smaller elements in the bearing.... "needle bearings" intended to support the central element as AR bearings last and function best when they are well supported on their ends.

YES