Accuframe "Super" Jigmaster

Started by Bruddah Bill, February 04, 2013, 09:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruddah Bill

I was discussing Penn Jigmaster reels with a fellow reel collector last year when the subject of an Accuframe Super Jigmaster came up.  He told me it was a limited edition extension kit by Accurate featuring a 3 inch spool/frame and that amongst local Hawaii reel collectors it was one of the hardest reels to come by.  I googled it... nothing.  Created an eBay notifcation for Super Jigmaster... nothing.  Even this forum only mentioned it once:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4778.0

After asking around for a few weeks, one finally wandered into my shop strictly for show-and-tell purposes.

I did make an offer for the reel and even flashed the cash, but the collector wouldn't be persuaded to part with it. 

Finally, after hunting for a few more months and a great trade, I've got one for my collection.  Since there isn't much about the kit online, I figured I share some pictures and stats.  If anyone has any additional info on the kit, I'm all ears!

The kit is comprised of the frame and the spool, it's interchangeable with accuplates or standard Jigmaster sideplates.

Here's a pic showing it alongside a Newell Yellowfin Kit (2-3/4") and a standard 500 (2-1/2").

Finally, here it is next to a standard accuframe kit.

Owner & Manager
Ewa Beach Buy & Sell
HiFishGear.com

Bryan Young

Nice find and get. Wow, that bugga is supa dupa wide.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Looks like a magnum jig master... does it take 4/0 gears?
Dom

SNAPPERHEAD

Looks like a magnum. Great Find. One of the best kits Accurate once brought to the market.

SNAPPERHEAD

Alto Mare

Nice reel, not the magnum though.
Here is a shot of the magnum, handle side plate is larger to accept the larger 4/0 gear:

Not mine,can't find this reel :(, but I found a picture. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

You're 100% right, Sal.  I forgot about the puffed out side plate on the magnum.
Looks like you've got a very rare Accurate Jig Master Supa Dupa Wide!  The reason I say very rare is because I haven't seen one, and by Sal's response he hasn't either :-\
Now I'm looking! ;)
Dom

Bruddah Bill

I came across info on the magnum accuplates when researching this reel, I knew right away it wasn't one because it didn't have 4/0 gears inside.

I also have to mention that there is also a super-extended frame for the 4/0 that people call the "Broaderbill" because it's wider than a the Newell Broadbill kit by 1/4"  One was on ebay a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accurate-Broaderbill-Frame-And-Spool-113H-Extra-Wide-4-0-/230914902874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c399cb5a
Owner & Manager
Ewa Beach Buy & Sell
HiFishGear.com

broadway

Bill,
    Ya know what's so funny about that reel you have the link to?  I looked at that and just assumed the seller didn't know squat like many of us experience on ebay.  I said to myself that he must have his broadbill (newell) mixed up with Accurate frames.  When I see some key words that don't jive I just move on to the next reel and so on...
Thanks for the eye opener,
Dom

SNAPPERHEAD

What you might have is a magnum squidder. A magnum squidder can take the jigmaster 500 gears but has the width of a standard 140L. Am I possibly right?

Ben

broadway

Good thought, but I don't think even the squidder magnum has a 3" spool... would love to know how many of those are out there ???
Dom

Alto Mare

I didn't even know a magnum Squidder existed :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

There was a 145 (mid-size) that took a  Jigmaster gear set... I was two days late on procuring a brand new one for myself last year... yes I'm still looking  ;)
Looks like you have some hunting to do, pal ;D
Dom

Bruddah Bill

Owner & Manager
Ewa Beach Buy & Sell
HiFishGear.com