Torium 14 tutorial?

Started by JasonF, February 05, 2013, 12:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonF

I cannot find a Torium 14 service tutorial on this or any other sight.  Would it be the same as the 16/20/30 thread just smaller?  Cheers! J

redsetta

G'day Jason,
Aside from the 14 having centrifugal cast control (ie plastic brakes or collars), the 14 and 16 are virtually identical.
Let us know if you run into any difficulties.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

JasonF

Thanks!  Speaking of centrifigul cast controls, are they a gimic?  I can never tell a difference when I change the "settings".  I usually just push them in all the way and use the knob for freespool control.

CapeFish

Quote from: JasonF on February 05, 2013, 03:21:21 AM
Thanks!  Speaking of centrifigul cast controls, are they a gimic?  I can never tell a difference when I change the "settings".  I usually just push them in all the way and use the knob for freespool control.

yes they make a difference, you basically seem to have them in the off setting. I find it better to leave them on or at least 2 and loosen the cap. If you tighten up the cast control cap it often causes the spool to vibrate resulting in overwinds. Even on reels without cast control, if you practice you will see you can make a good cast with the cap loose and get a very smooth cast.

JasonF

So I am taking it apart to service and swap the drag.  These two tiny copper washers were sitting in it.  Does anyone know where they go??

JasonF

Another issue....I just laid out my drag washers.  If you notice, the two wahers that I am pointing at are different diameters (carbontex on top, dartanium on bottom).  Why would the replacements have a different outer diameter?  Seems odd.

Bryan Young

Hi Jason,

I have never seen those two little washers in a torium before. It's possible that is sits inset the spring of the yoke.

The drag washers, it looks like you have a set for the torium 16/20/30. The 14 is a little smaller. Just cut then down to size with scissors. They are pretty easy to cut.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonF

Thanks Bryan.  The larger washers are actually the stock set.  The carbontex are smaller than them in OD.  The ID is the same.  I know that they will function, but I want all of the drag surface area that I can get.

alantani

see the yoke springs and the studs that they ride on?  the two washers go either on top of the studs or under the springs, depending on the size. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reefmonsta

My first instinct is that the two washers/spacers belong above and below the clicker pawl.  Undo the spring on the clicker and pop of the retainer clip.  There should be a spacer right under the clip on top of the clicker pawl as well as one directly underneath the clicker pawl.  And even if they are the ones from there, wouldnt explain how the heck they got into the drag stack.  Let us know if that was where they belong....

Quote from: JasonF on February 09, 2013, 12:50:39 AM
So I am taking it apart to service and swap the drag.  These two tiny copper washers were sitting in it.  Does anyone know where they go??

reefmonsta

JasonF

They werent IN the drag stack.  They were loose in the reel.  I found a third after my initial post!  After thoroughly staring at the schematic I am convinced that they are unecessary.  If they were necessary they would be in the schematic.  I am not going to lose sleep over them!