Senator 6/0

Started by 58Evinrudebigtwin35, February 05, 2013, 10:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Evinrudebigtwin35

All,

My wife spent Saturday at the flea markets and while I slaved away at work but at least she's thinking of me.  She found and bought an old Penn Senator 114 6/0  post unit for less than 20 bucks.  It had a badly bent handle but that was about it. Either someone dropped it from up high or it took a serious tumble some how but all that was bent was the handle.  Like a kid at Christmas I took it apart and while well used it was in pretty good shape inside.  Dried out grease and well worn drags but everything else was in good shape. Cleaned it up, lubed it, polished the chrome parts and it is a decent reel. Reel spins fast and easy.  The crank paul and ratchet are smooth as is the free spool release.  It has the old style accessable drags.  I would like to replace the drag washers with new and use this reel.  Any suggestions?

Tony
Anthony, stai zitto e mangia!

Ron Jones

I haven't said welcome yet, so welcome to the forum!

Alan's tutorial basically says it all. Ht-100 or carbontex with drag grease. That reel is very popular here so if your interested in hot rodding it you will get no end of advice.

By the way, your wife got a smokin' deal.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Cone

Heres a kit with metals https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
get an extra washer for under the gear https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-115.aspx of course you can buy the parts seperatly.  Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Black 6/0 114 or red 6/0 114H?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Lee your right. He didn't say and I assumed a 114h. My bad.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Dominick

Quote from: Cone on February 06, 2013, 02:56:02 AM
Bob:  any man that has his hand in an alligator's mouth does not have to be humble.  ;) ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Cone on February 06, 2013, 02:56:02 AM
I've done it a time or two myself :P

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Its not my first mistake or my last.  ;D
Bob

Dominick

Quote from: Cone on February 06, 2013, 04:02:34 AM
Its not my first mistake or my last.  ;D
Bob

According to your avatar it looks like you are making a mistake with your left hand.  ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Nah, he couldn't bite anyone anymore when that was taken. I still want to see your Tarzan moves, Dominick.  Back on topic. the post above is for the 114h (red sideplates). for the black side plate 114 you will need the metals. https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/7C-114.aspx and six drag washers five in the main gear and one under the gear.  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114.aspx   HTH Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

58Evinrudebigtwin35

It is a black reel with posts.
Anthony, stai zitto e mangia!

Keta

5 of the 6-114 HT-100 washers and a 7C-114 metal washer set.   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn114.aspx
I'm not sure if a SS gear sleeve is available for a 6/0 (114) or what CF washer to use under the gear.  

If they are avaliable and you put in a SS gear sleeve you should also put in a SS dog, I know I haven't cut a 15-114 dog yet.

Mark Twain

Cone

A 6-60 may work under the gear but I haven't tried it in this reel. You would have to open up the ID to get it to go over the gear sleeve.

Alto Mare

I don't see why it wouldn't. If it goes in the gear, you can bet that it will go under it as well.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Cone on February 06, 2013, 01:42:40 PM
A 6-60 may work under the gear but I haven't tried it in this reel. You would have to open up the ID to get it to go over the gear sleeve.

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 06, 2013, 02:52:26 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't. If it goes in the gear, you can bet that it will go under it as well.

I suppose it will work, but the OD will be smaller than the original 4-114 hard fiber washer.  A better solution is another 6-114 (HT-100) under the main gear. 
viurem lliures o morirem