commonskate fishing uo Scotland

Started by willybendit, February 06, 2013, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

ive just updated with a few more pictures on page 5   tightlines Alain

Cone

I saw the depth finder said 625'. Unless your using an electric reel, pulling one that size up from that depth has to be tough. Great pics. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

willybendit

no electric reels  just penn GLD 50  & penn 50lbs class IGFA rods   ive a braid harness & pad  fight lasts about an hour  catch 5 of them in a day and you have  had Enough and sleep like a Baby on a night   sizes     from  70lbs right up to 225lbs   MY PB is 208lbs   my crew man taking a nap       its a hard life but somebody as to do it  

Keta

Quote from: Cone on February 06, 2013, 01:58:18 PM
I saw the depth finder said 625'. Unless your using an electric reel, pulling one that size up from that depth has to be tough. Great pics. Bob

We fish for these with manual reels at 500'-750' with 36-48 oz weights.  These were on my double dog 7+1 113H

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

From those depths, just reeling the lead up makes for a good night sleep! I can only imagine reeling in sheets of plywood all day long!  ;)  nice halibut, Lee. I'd tell you about a ray I saw on a dive one time but you would only think I was hallucinating, exagerating or outright lying.  :( But I know what I saw. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Yes he did do a good job with that halibut. Sounds like that reel worked flawlessly ;).
Got to share a boat with you one day Lee.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ossipeter

willybendit

Hi Alto   nice Butts  we only get a few Small ones  out of Whitby in north Yorkshire  think the port Record is only 58lbs   first time i went Skate Fishing i was using what i thought was a BIG reel    A  STD shimano TLD 25   and after changing bait  using 4lbs of lead  and hauling  the  7.5 KG  Anchor  out of 480/500 ft of water my arms where falling off   soon changed to  a couple of two speed penn GLD 50 and changed the Handle  for a jumbo off  Dawn @ smoothdrag 

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

willybendit

good eating  never had a taste  halibut is very expensive in England  Along with every thing else  LOL

Keta

Quote from: willybendit on February 07, 2013, 05:32:13 PM
good eating  never had a taste  halibut is very expensive in England  Along with every thing else  LOL

When we lived in Alaska we had it FRESH 2 or 3 times a week with sockeye, moose, Mt. goat and deer in between. Grouse, abalone, rock scalops and crab were weekly treats.  Fresh pickled herring was good but I could not eat uni, seal and sealion, it was foul...bear was tolerable.    Now we eat too much lamb and I've never been thrilled with it.

Mark Twain

willybendit

Alaska   now there`s a place id like to go   read and seen a few pictures of the fishing and wildlife  just Awesome 

Keta

I wish I didn't have to leave, I loved living on an island.

Mark Twain

Jerseymic

Lee,

I see when you were in Alaska you used to have Abalone, we used to get them back home in Jersey, the local name is Ormer. Wonderful cooked slowly in a casserole overnight.

Very restricted fishing for them now so I am told. You are only allowed to gather them at certain low water spring tides by hand, no diving, restriction on size and amount apply. The authorities are very vigilant, they will stop you coming off the beach and check your catch!

Mike.