112H locked up

Started by BMITCH, February 07, 2013, 10:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

I've got a problem I thought the experts could give me some help with? About a year ago I bought the accurate side plates for a jigmaster with all the internals from eBay. This set had what I think are accurate gears that are 5:1. The reason I think they are accurate gears ia because the spool that works with them is the jigmaster 500/501 type with the shorter shaft at the main gear side. This never seemed to work well. When the drag was tightened down the reel would not go into free spool smoothly. It would kind of hang up. I installed another set of 4:1 gears from a 500 and the problem was solved. I then installed the 5:1 gears into a 112h and the same problem persists. I've changed the yoke (now it is th SS one from dawn) and have been in and out of this reel about 10 times trying to figure out where this is hanging up. When there is no tension be it with the drag tightened down...the free spool works just fine. I think these are accurate gears because they came with the side covers. If they are Newell's is there any way to tell the two apart? They are not penn due to the height of the main. The 505 gears would not fit into the accurate side plates let alone a 112H, right.? Did penn ever make 5:1 gears that fit into a standard jigmaster 500 ?? Do I need to file the flats on the spool??

HELP!!!

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

You're right, the 5-505 will not fit the accurate plates.
You could make the 5-505 work if you wanted to, but you need to do some customizing.

Here is a shot of the Penn 5-505 compared to the Penn 5-500 on the right

You will need to grind approx. a 16th off

The pinion will also need to be customized. take a look by "upgrading a Jigmaster", it should give you some ideas.

About the other problem, from your explanation it sounds like the issue is with the pinion. Slide the pinion on the spool shaft and see if it goes in place without much force, also check for burrs. You might need to file the notched area on the pinion, if it's too tight.
Good luck.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Thanks Sal. I will dive back into this reel when I get the SS dogs from Lee. This is an awsome jigging reel at 5:1. I've already installed the SS gear sleeve, Tib frame and SS yoke and now these gears. I did the double dog to this in alternating. When I get it right  I'll post some pics. What's your feeling about the bushings instead of ball bearings for the spool?

Alto Mare

I personally prefer bushings. Yes, show us some shots when you're done.
If you're going with the upgrades the gears will get a little weaker, but you should be ok if you fish that reel within its range.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I'm revisiting this thread, ready to dive back in. The pinion gear seems to fit the spool shaft ok and there are no visible signs of a burr. If I was to file anything down to prevent this lockup problem, would it be the flats on the inside of the pinion gear.? Or would it be the flats on the spool shaft?? Not sure where to start.???

angelh

Did you do the double dog yourself?  If so, is there enough clearance on the side plate for the dog to travel freely over the REVERSE gear?

BMITCH

Wow!! I forgot about this thread. Yes, Angelh. If memory serves me right. This 112H was doble dogged alternating. This is "one of the reels that is gonna get torn down really soon for service. When I do so I'll post pictures.

Bob