113 h leftie

Started by jeff smith, February 07, 2013, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff smith

Hi,
Whats involved in converting a 113H to left hand wind? Here in the U.K, I've recently purchased a  113H LHW (U.S.A build) for shark fishing.Although it as brand new, I suspect that it was old stock as it doesn't appear to be the same as the latest Chinese models, which I'm happy with.
The Chinese models are readily available in LHW, but I'd like to match my U.S.A version with an identical second reel.
My tackle dealer has some new old stock 113H reels which match mine exactly but, they are right hand wind.They look identical to my reel in every way, except on mine there is a white LH sticker and of course it winds the other way. It almost looks as if Penn just turned the reel round the opposite way.The side plates are identical,the carbon frame just looks as if it was screwed on the other way around as opposite screw holes are in exactly the same places.
Hope I've made sense with all this.

Jeff

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard Jeff.
Re your 113H conversion to LH,you will need the following parts,Main Gear,Pinion Gear,Bridge and Star wheel. You may also need a Right Side Plate if yours is an older reel without the  LH cutout for the Anti Reverse Dog, although it would appear you have the  newer model.
Phone Mick Simmons,Penn Servicing in Pershore  (01386552949) who should be able to supply the parts and offer you advice on your conversion. Personally I would be looking for a good used LH  113H rather than ending  up with a load of  expensive  RH spares.

Stick with the USA Penn's,loads of great quality spares available.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Alan,
I think your link is for a black 113 conversion, not the 113H.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Here you go
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn113H_LH.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jeff smith

Thanks guys. I've just torn the reel down to have a peek at it and typically, the A/R dog spring disappeared into oblivion.I wonder how many times thats happened to newbies on here!!!!!! New one (or two or three for the future) required.
My reel is new(new old stock more like), but inside there was one too many metal drag washers(so i removed one) and there seems to be an awful lot of radial and axial play between the bridge, and it's sleeve. It's very noticable at the handle.This reel will be used (hopefully) for some heavy(by U.K standards ) sharking so I want it right.I understand that washers underneath the sleeve will help take up the play???? Is there a specific part available???

I'm gonna heed your advice on the L/H conversion and search around for a matching 113H Leftie..

What's the difference with a 113H2?? I can see the black plastic cover on the handle screw but that's it. Are the chinese built Senators as good ??Surely the parts are the same????

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

We have all lost those little dog springs especially when pulling Penn's apart. Penn Servicing have them and may be able to supply you with shim washers to fit below the sleeve.
Personally I avoid any Penn reels with a "2" like the plague. ;)  They are Chinese and have different sleeves and handle lock nuts. That black plastic cover hides a plain lock nut, cheap and nasty.
Maybe someone on hear can help you with a good  LH 113H although shipping costs can be prohibitive.

jeff smith

I found the dog spring this morning hiding behind the T.V set so,with the help of Alan's tutorial, she went back in.Managed to find some shims in a box of Mitchell 300 bits and they were a perfect fit on the bridge under neath the sleeve.I have various thicknesses but, with a bit of trial and error, managed to eradicate most of the play just leaving the tinyest bit of movement to allow the reel to breathe.
Works a treat !
I've left the drag washers dry but understand that the drag is smoother when greased.Would any waterproof grase work, or is something like Cal's drag grease better?
All I need now is another matching reel.

I really like 146 squidders. Did they ever make a left hand version?

alantani

it took me three hours before giving up when i lost the first dog spring.  consider yourself lucky!  good work on the gear sleeve.  and here is the left handed squidder!  i looked and i actually still have one left handle stainless steel gear sleeve prototype for the left handed squidder.  let me know if i can tempt you with it. 

jeff smith

Sorry Alan- cant see your link.
Did Penn actually produce a L.H squidder?

Pure luck with that spring mate.

Irish Jigger

Check this link,second one down.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSquidder.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

jeff smith

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 10, 2013, 04:39:13 PM
Check this link,second one down.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSquidder.aspx

Brilliant thanks. I WANT ONE!!
I would probably convert it to a 146 size if i could find one.There must be some about somewhere.I don't think i've seen one come up on ebay UK.

alantani

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/140llh.pdf

Irish Jigger

You could put an ad on here for one,never know what's out there. US to UK shipping should be about $25 ((£16.)